SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Custom Exhaust system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
Custom Exhaust system

I am really thinking that my next mod is to do a full custom exhaust system. I will use the Kleemann headers most likely since I just recently got them installed & they have decent proven power gains. I want louder than stock but not retarded loud, I want it to look perfect, made from all S.S. parts, & I want max performance.

Been thinking about this every since Hawkins post that thread about the SLS system from Timmayfest

The reason for this thread is to get opinions & ideas from all my AMG brothers out there so all thoughts & ideas are welcome!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Originally Posted by RAWAMG
I am really thinking that my next mod is to do a full custom exhaust system. I will use the Kleemann headers most likely since I just recently got them installed & they have decent proven power gains. I want louder than stock but not retarded loud, I want it to look perfect, made from all S.S. parts, & I want max performance.

Been thinking about this every since Hawkins post that thread about the SLS system from Timmayfest

The reason for this thread is to get opinions & ideas from all my AMG brothers out there so all thoughts & ideas are welcome!
Mr. Wildman - I'm doing this too ...... I have been following your build and I see we're on the same road you and I ..... it's a long way and I'm quit a bit behind you ....... but I will soon catch up with you
Pic. included - I will delete the middle muffler and keep the original AMG rear mufflers ..... gotta have catalyst - special sports catalyst.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust system-mercedes-r230-sl-55-amg-v8.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
While all i currently have on my E55 is shorties to stock cat back I am desperate to do more and have done alot of research both on the forums and in person (looking and listening).

Here is what I have decided to do to get the best balance of power and sound while keeping drone and noise to a minimum in the cabin. The goal is a nice deep, throaty exhaust note on wot with no raspy sound and fairly stock while idle/cruise:

Shorties>flex pipe>RT 3" race cat>Xpipe>exhaust cut out>stock resonators>stock mufflers

If I decide I want more sound all the time I will add EC mufflers with stock tips.

The cut outs are for all the Mustangs and boosted 4 bangers who try to show off....I want to scare the total Shiiit out of them when they try me

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Im in the process on my e55

Kleemans
3" flex pipes
3" magnaflow Cats
3" Xpipe
3" pipe straight back to axle
resonator delete

hoping for performance with a tiny bit of noise over stock....want to keep the car's class but make it known that, its def. not stock
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by amok55amg
Mr. Wildman - I'm doing this too ...... I have been following your build and I see we're on the same road you and I ..... it's a long way and I'm quit a bit behind you ....... but I will soon catch up with you
Pic. included - I will delete the middle muffler and keep the original AMG rear mufflers ..... gotta have catalyst - special sports catalyst.
Cool - I didn't think you were going to go as crazy as I have with yours... you may catch up for a minute but I am already planning bottom build & some special new top stuff

Is that the Milltek set up?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
The cut outs are for all the Mustangs and boosted 4 bangers who try to show off....I want to scare the total Shiiit out of them when they try me
I have looked at the QTP electronic cut outs several times & almost recently went that way but my tuner talked me out of them... I still may do this tho cuz it would be pretty cool the scare the total shiat out of every one that wants to try me

Originally Posted by saleen01
Im in the process on my e55...
hoping for performance with a tiny bit of noise over stock....want to keep the car's class but make it known that, its def. not stock

Last edited by RAWAMG; 07-05-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 AM

My current set-up:

Kleemanns
Primes deleted & straight piped
Stock second cats
Resonators deleted & straight piped
Stock mufflers

It might be a little too loud now and it is certainly beastly

What I am thinking is...

Kleemanns (although I may go custom long tubes and sell these)
3" S.S. high flow cats
3" S.S. X-pipe
3" S.S. straight tube high flow resonators
Stock mufflers (maybe internals reworked)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Originally Posted by RAWAMG
Cool - I didn't think you were going to go as crazy as I have with yours... you may catch up for a minute but I am already planning bottom build & some special new top stuff

Is that the Milltek set up?
Nope - this set up is Supersprint - Italian .... but I'm not impressed with the craftsmanship and actually the only thing I will use will be the HJS Sports Catalyst ........ got Kleeman short headers + HJS Cat. and stock rear mufflers ..... only thing I'm not sure about is one X cross-over or two ---- or not ? Piping will be Ø70 mm. from collector and back (almost as stock)

I'm looking for a hard sound - nobody shouldn't be in doubt when I'm coming around but on the other hand I will not have a car that scare the kids in the neighborhood
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM

03 SL55
OP, can you please post a video what your car sounds like as of right now? I would like to hear it, as i am thinking of getting kleeman headers.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kingnash
OP, can you please post a video what your car sounds like as of right now? I would like to hear it, as i am thinking of getting kleeman headers.
Sorry about the bumper... doing the SL63 rear conversion right now

Dyno vid on the Dyno @ EC

Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Holy ****, if its one thing I miss about my 55 was the exhaust sound