SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Too much oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55 AMG
Smile Too much oil consumption

My SL55 is consuming too much oil. Every 100-200 KM I need to add 1.0 liters of oil. The car is not leaking oil, however when I am accelerating, I can see white smoke behind the car.

I am using Total Quartz 7000 5w40, I am afraid that the quality of the oil isn't good enough, and actually thinking of using Fuchs 5w40 supersyn instead. Would the oil quality play a role in this case?

I am also afraid that the oil measurement sensor isn't true, and I actually can't find an oil dipstick for my car in Lebanon, how can I make sure the oil level is fine or not?

Now lets assume the engine is consuming this oil, should I thicken the oil used to 10W40 or 15w40? Should I use "Liqui Moly oil re-sealer (it rejuvenates stem seals, and head gasket)"?

Thank you a lot for any help offered!
Best Regards,
Jad
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Do not use oil additives. Not a single one works.

Do not use thicker than recommended oil in an effort to reduce consumption. Try mobil one 0w40 but I am suspicious your problem is not the oil. A liter per couple hundred kilometers means your motor has serious issues.

Have compression checked for low compression at neighboring cylinders. Have the valve covers off and check valve guides health.

It could be many things but the two checks above are what needs to be done first assuming your oil level indicator is not bad. It can be checked by reading it with das sand adding a quart of oil when says it is low. Then read it again- if reading went up a quart your sensor is good.

Last edited by alx; 09-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55 AMG
Do not use oil additives. Not a single one works.
I have used liquimoly oil sealer previously in my AUDI TT, and it made a difference.

Do not use thicker than recommended oil in an effort to reduce consumption. Try mobil one 0w40 but I am suspicious your problem is not the oil. A liter per couple hundred kilometers means your motor has serious issues.
Actually I got the car lately, however the first 1000 km using the oil, it wasn't consuming that much oil. I think fuchs has a better quality than Mobil 1 (considering that in Lebanon Fuchs is imported from germany, however mobil 1 is imported from UAE).

Have compression checked for low compression at neighboring cylinders. Have the valve covers off and check valve guides health.
I have to do this after changing the oil.

It could be many things but the two checks above are what needs to be done first assuming your oil level indicator is not bad. It can be checked by reading it with das sand adding a quart of oil when says it is low. Then read it again- if reading went up a quart your sensor is good.
Sure