SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 AMG gear shifter module problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl
SL63 AMG gear shifter module problem

Hey guys,
There is an issue with my sl63 AMG that I'd like to share. Hopefully, someone here can suggest me what to do.

Here's the story:
So, I purchased sl63 AMG about 5 months ago. (Here I had the Race-Start button). After about a month, the car ran into a problem - it would not go into Park even when I pressed the "P" button. I had to press the Start/Stop button and turn off the car the hard way. I restarted the car, an the P button started working again. I contacted the dealer, and after the service, they removed the gear-shift module, and replaced with another module. The Parking button was working again. The gear shifter had shorted..

Couple days later, I realized, wait, how come I don't see the RS on the shifter? I was so new to the car, and had never used RS previously, so it had slipped out of my mind, and I only realized it after a couple days after service. I talked to the dealer, and they said, the service guy "accidentally" replaced the module with sl65 amg one, and sl65 amg does not have RS functionality. They said, they'd have to order it from Germany.

After some time, the dealer gets a module, and tell MB in Germany, no that's the wrong module. Same thing happens 2nd time, and 3rd time. Today, it's been 4+ months since this issue. I've pretty much talked to anyone I could - even the MBUSA rep, and even they keep saying they're trying as hard as they can.

What I don't understand is this - if it takes say, 5-6 months to hand-build an AMG, then shouldn't it take a LOT LESS time to build just the shifter module? They keep saying, the ordering system they use is messed up. But aren't they still producing sl63 amg 2013? Why would it be hard to make a gear shift module? Seriously, am I being played with by the dealer or the MB guys? The MBUSA rep I talked to keeps saying, this is on their highest priority list. But 4 months?? The car works, but the main part of it is of another model! What if something goes wrong while I'm driving?

So, after 4+ months of waiting around, I've finally decided to open an account here, and ask for help. I seriously love this car! The sound it makes, especially in a tunnel is the sound of God of Thunder - gives goosebumps every time! But until this problem is fully solved, I always feel a little unease driving it.

Could you guys please suggest what I should do? The lady could give me email/phone of someone who is at MB in Germany whom I could talk to.. I'm thinking about doing that. What are your thoughts?

Thanks and regards.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
join the private lounge and post this there
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl
Cool. I'll do that. Thanks for the help.