SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ATF fill port question???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
ATF fill port question???

On my 2003 SL55 AMG engine, near the rear of the intakes on the passenger side, there is a tube that sticks up to about even with the top of the intakes that has a red 'cap' on it that is removable. This has the appearance of the fill tube for the transmission. There is no dipstick, but I purchased a universal one for checking trans fluid - I assume through this tube.

BUT - in investigating further, I find that behind the right (passenger side) cylinder head (between it and the firewall) there is another tube with a red cap on it that appears about the same diameter. It has a black cap with a red 'tab' on the side, and something like "for MB Technician Only" printed on the cap. This cap is probably an inch or two below the top of the valve cover.

I just want confirmation that after I drain the ATF from the pan, replace the filter and pan, that I FILL the transmission with the correct fluid through the tube by the intake manifold!!

Any clues about what the other 'tube' is for would be interesting to me!

THANKS for your help to a newby in regard to working on this great automobile.

Gary Knox