SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC system maintenance - great article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Tomcruiser,

No picture is necessary. Starting at the ABC reservoir, I installed ~2" of a 1/2" reinforced rubber hose using the OE clamp (you could cut off ~2" of the OE hose, but it's going to be a real tight fit, and I wanted something that would allow easy removal of the Magnefilter if/when I wanted to replace it). Then, I slipped a 1/2" Norma clamp on the hose, and inserted the 'out' connection of the Magnefilter and tightened up both hose clamps.

Then, I marked the OE hose coming up the front of the engine bay where it would fit best on the inlet side. Cut the OE hose there, and slipped on a second Norma clamp, inserted the inlet nipple into the hose (it's gonna' be tight) until I got it nearly to the enlarged filter part. Tightened both Norma clamps and checked the fluid level - it was at correct level. I checked it again after a few minutes of engine running, and the level was still OK (engine 'aus' in both cases - for at least 15-20 minutes).

Regular hose clamps would probably be OK, but I like the Norma type, as they - like the OE clamps do not have any open 'slots' to cut into the rubber.

PS: Even though you asked twice, i'm only posting one response.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Focus
MAGNOM Filter

I recently saw some posts about the Magnom inline filter. The great thing about this filter is that you dont have to replace it. you simply take it apart and are able to clean the metal out of the filter and reuse. This way you are able to see if you have any metal flowing thru. Works great!

www.magnomfilters.com
Old 09-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
I too thought it would be a good filter. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it for a 1/2 inch (12 mm) hose. Only listed 3/4" and 1 1/4". Seems pretty big and perhaps heavier than the Magnefine filter. Thus, selected the Magnefine for installation. At $15 per unit (eBay), it's not very expensive to replace.

I'll pull and replace it after about 4K miles or so (probably 2 years) and cut it up to see if it's trapped any particles.