SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Modding Process on SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Modding Process on SL65

So I haven't been on this while, (been busy with work and my sister's wedding coming up this Saturday) but I'm getting ready to have a black series body kit installed from FX Design Cars in the Chicago area, just waiting on them to contact a few body shops in the area that have experience installing their kits before and don't have any back log. So most likely sometime next week the car will be shipped off.

Once the kit is installed I'll take some pics and post my review of their kit since I couldn't find anyone that had their kits installed on the forums. Also I will be selling off the old parts from the car if anyone is interested such as:

Hood
Front Bumper with Mesh
L & R Fenders
L & R Side Skirts
L & R Headlights
L & R Fog Lights
Rear Bumper with Mesh
Quad Exhaust Tips

Once the car comes back I'll finish the last of my mods. So far whats been done is:

Eurocharged ECU
Eurocharged TCU
Quaife LSD
Custom 3 Inch Short Ram Intake (will be doing a custom 3-4 inch CAI once body kit is installed)
Custom 3 Inch Exhaust with Catless Downpipes, H Pipe, Dual Electric Exhaust Cutouts and High Flow Muffers
Bosch 010 Pump (I got sick of those CM 30 pumps)
Front Mount Heat Exchanger
20% Tinted Windows
Red Painted Brake Calipers
Carbon Fiber Interior
Mobridge Media Unit
DPE 20 inch CS10 Wheels (Still got my Carlsson's 1/16 ULs if anyone wants to buy them)

With the whole thing going on in DC I had to postpone my head and turbo work agian but it's good to go again 1st week of July so whats remaining if the following:

Rebuilt Turbos
Port and Polished Heads
Custom Top Mount Intercoolers
Bored out TB (might as well see if it does anything but if not at least I gave it a shot)
Powder coated Intercoolers
Powder coated Valve Covers
Renntech Toe Links (Got these sitting around now)
Speedriven Billet Idle Pulleys
Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel

Only thing now is I need a little help with 2 things, 1 does anyone know if the ARP head studs that the 55s/63s guys are using will work for the 600/65? I figured its worth a shot to ask before I need to look for some custom ones since head are coming off anyways.

Second thing is anyone have recommendations for rear trunk tanks to use? I'm trying to bang this all out so I don't need to have my car worked on until my transmission blows if that does happen or if I ever decide to get a carbon fiber drive shaft made (found a drive shaft company that has worked on Mercedes before that will make the drive shaft that isn't too crazy in price considering its a CF drive shaft)