SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL5 AMG Steering Wheel Shift Buttons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 SL55 AMG
SL5 AMG Steering Wheel Shift Buttons

Hi,

I. Just purchased an 03 SL55 AMG and I can't get the steering wheel shift buttons to work. By reading post on the forum I know on an 03, they will only work in the M mode. I also read a Lot of pros and cons on converting to paddle and it seems to be a 50/50 that you can or can't. I might tackle that at a later date, after I get mine working with the button. I took the steering wheel air bags (after disconnecting the battery of course) out and removed the buttons. I've checked them and they seem to work correctly. Using a meter I determined one circuit is open and one closed, as I found in my research is correct. Now I need to hear from the experts where I go from here. I have no idea what to check or how to troubleshoot further. I might add the manual shifting works ok using the shift lever. Thank you.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails SL5 AMG Steering Wheel Shift Buttons-image.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
can you tell if the wires are plugged in at the wheel body and go into the center of the column
Has anybody done any work to the wheel or removed it or replaced it to a different style
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 SL55 AMG
Everything looked like factory original. That's why I'm thinking it has to be outside the wheel and since I don't have a wiring diagram, I have no idea what to look for. I'm not sure what happens when you push the button since they are wired together and each has one wire that's in a plug, that is plugged into the steering wheel. With one switch always closed and one always open, pressing on the open one makes a complete circuit, as both would be closed. Pressing on the closed one opens the circuit and I have no idea what that should do. I'm sure it has something to with plus and minus voltage.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Might be trouble, I think the wiring from the wheel goes to a shift control module , I dont know where its at
Old 03-07-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
I can't help you with the reason why your buttons aren't working but I can comment on the paddles.

I had the paddles installed and I can tell you it beats the hell out of the buttons. It was a simple process where I was sent a new wheel with the paddles pre installed and then took it to my indy. He replaced the steering wheel in 20 minutes and it's perfect. It was plug and play.

Chris who is the manufacturer is on the forum and hopefully can chime in and help with the possible cause of your problem.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by RoundTheBenz
I can't help you with the reason why your buttons aren't working but I can comment on the paddles.

I had the paddles installed and I can tell you it beats the hell out of the buttons. It was a simple process where I was sent a new wheel with the paddles pre installed and then took it to my indy. He replaced the steering wheel in 20 minutes and it's perfect. It was plug and play.

Chris who is the manufacturer is on the forum and hopefully can chime in and help with the possible cause of your problem.
Well, I can suggest what to check, but these are generally bullet proof.

have you verified that the touch-shift works .... and to be clear, you are in Manual mode (and moving)?

testing the buttons dynamically can be tricky ... if you still have them out of the car, hook the wire from the up button to +12vdc (through a 1k ohm resistor) and the wire from the down button to ground and then check between ground and the up switch (to 1k resistor junction)
1) neither switch depressed 5 to 6 volts dc
2) up (right) button depressed 12 volts dc
3) down (left) button depressed 1-2 volts dc

indicates normal

to probe this further (or in the car)
the 2 pin connector under your air bag has one lead going to ground and the other to pin 4 of the connector on your floor shifter. If you were to probe the latter (and I hesitate to recommend it as you are messing around in live air-bag territory) you should find (reading across the 2 pins
with the meter set to dc volts) these 3 voltages (based on switch operation).
1) neither switch depressed 5 to 6 volts dc
2) up (right) button depressed 12 to 14 volts dc
3) down (left) button depressed 1-2 volts dc

if you want to send me a PM, I can perhaps guide you through some testing of this.

and, when you get to the point of wanting paddles, I can certainly help you with that.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c55 amg
AMG paddle shifters

I'M NOT SURE IF I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY SO PLEASE FORGIVE AND I HOPE THESE ATTACHMENTS ARE VISIBLE.THEY SHOW MY C55 STEERING WHEEL WHICH I CHANGED FROM BUTTONS TO PADDLES WITH A SIMPLE PROCESS AND WILL WORK ON ALL MODELS THAT HAVE BUTTONS FITTED.
I HAVE TRIALED THEM ON MY CAR IN THE UK AND THEY WORK PERFECT AND ARE GOING TO BE TRIALED IN THE US.ALL ENQUIRIES ARE WELCOME