SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC FRONT slammed to the ground fluid all gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55 Klemman
FYI you can buy a rebuild kit that has all the seals for the ABC pump and there are a couple posts that show the tear down of the unit. However it only addresses leaking seals. If the pump itself has sustained damage then you just wasted all that time and money rebuilding it.

Personally after seeing the amount of work involved in it id just as soon spend the extra cash and buy a new one.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320cd sport & SL55
So finally i have got the pump fitted, what a bstard! Of a job...

So the difficulties i came across...

I found taking the hydraulic line off the p/steering a mission. It almost rounded off to a point i had to use some adjustable mole grips crack it off.

Lining back up the banjo bolt, although i found this very easy to remove, was a mission getting it back in the correct position when refitting.

The rest... Once you know what your doing, is pretty easy, but time consuming.

Soo tomorrow is the big day when i have it running properly. I already filled the ABC system with 1.5litres of oil to which it sucked up, so had to switch the engine off as the reservoir became almost empty. It said abc drive carefully in red.

Tomorrow i will get some more fluid, it was too late and everything was closed. Once i top it up, i will test it properly.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320cd sport & SL55
Also now that my abc is almost done, can anyone tell me why my rear left corner sits higher than the rest of the car? Almost as if it doesn't want to rest down. Function ok on up down, but wont lower to the lowest setting correctly
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Regarding the red ABC...

I let my pump run dry for just a second when flushing, which required a trip to an Indy with an SDS. They pressured the reservoir and quickly hit 'reset' on the low ABC pressure warning on the SDS. Eventually it pressurizes the system and everything is normal. This 'may' be what your car needs.

I believe the ride height is also something that can be reset with the SDS, if the sensors in the struts are working properly. If the reading says normal, and the car is not, then something is broken. Or vice versa.

Good luck and keep us posted on the result.