SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: R230 Adjustable Coilover Kit : It's Finally Happening!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 03:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
That would be good.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55 AMG
Updates!

- CAD Models are all finalized.
- CNCing of parts has already commenced.

I went over to check on the progress today and the parts that VVK and SLR are prototyping look absolutely beautiful. I will be on vacation the next two weeks while they test out different parts on my car - so when I get back I'll have some pictures up of, at the very least, the final coilover design in the flesh.

From what I saw today, these things are beefy, they over engineered these coilovers for sake of quality and reliability - I'm pretty excited to come back from vacation let's put it that way!

Last edited by FlyinFINN; 09-17-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 PM

SL55 AMG
Double post*

Last edited by FlyinFINN; 09-17-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 widebody - built viper - ls1 turbo 350z
Definitely keep me posted. Is there the ability to add acup kit for the front? I love abc when it works, but its a constant worry for me
Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
YES !!!

Guys we need a solution here in Australia PLEASE !!!

Originally Posted by FlyinFINN
As you all realize, the airmatic situation on our cars is troublesome. If I am not reading about people having problems on here, I am having them myself (actually have a have full suspension failure currently). The SL65 Black Series has coilovers, why can't we? So I went out and discussed with a well known BMW suspension builder here in Florida called SLRspeed (http://slrspeed.com/), and an upcoming automotive engineering company called VVK, to combine efforts and finally create us a reliable and adjustable coilover kit (with sway bars) for our cars. And after over a month of discussions, they are in!

For the full kit, with sways, and a 1-year warranty - they are aiming at a low $4000 for everything. If we get a group buy going and get 10 people on the list, we can get these down to $3500. If we get an even bigger list, I can really try and see if we can get these lower, if at least a little bit

There will be two options: "Street" which will be approximately same ride feel as stock but a bit firmer, and "Sport" with a stiffer ride for track (what I'm getting personally). But the best part of all, is these struts/springs can be re-valved/changed at any time and made specific to your liking - fully customizable. If a strut ever blew, it will be an easy replacement strut that swaps in and out in under an hour, so no more expensive hassles or long down times.

What is the interest like here? Who else is fed up with tensing when red lights blink and gong - always wondering if you'll be driving home at 20mph that night because your car is "too low". If we can get a list going it will speed up the development time even more - which is currently in the timeline of about 2months. I'm leaving my car with them to mockup and develop for and then they'll do final testings and then shipping out. Who's in?

Group Buy for $3500 [Username-Full Name-Email]
1. FlyinFINN - Shane Allen - shane.allen@modti.com
2. cordney16 - Cordney C Ward - cordney16@yahoo.com
3. spartan7669 - Dimitri Tsioutsiopoulos - roufusfighter@live.com
4. FreedP - Peter Freed - freedp@gmail.com (maybe)
5. Peter PAC55 arcpeterc@optusnet.com.au
Old 10-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
e55
Any updates?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:30 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by spartan7669
Definitely keep me posted. Is there the ability to add acup kit for the front? I love abc when it works, but its a constant worry for me
If you know of a kit that bolts on top of normal coilovers then it should fit

Originally Posted by Pac55
Guys we need a solution here in Australia PLEASE !!!
I asked and they said they can sell worldwide, so stay tuned!

Originally Posted by DiegosAnotherR1
Any updates?
Updates!

I am getting back into Florida a bit later than hoped, got held up on some things this week but I will arrive over the weekend.

I called up the guys at SLR and VVK, they have the prototype coilovers already mocked up on my car and I'm told they are looking good! They are still doing some work on the front bottom mounts - they want to make them even stronger than they have now before we go out on road tests and abuse the hell out of it. After that is situated, we will get to testing the sway bars as well. All in all, at best, we are looking at another two to three weeks for the entire kit to finalize.

I do a ton of hard driving, drifting, and autocross - so I will not accept a weak kit. All the parts are machined and top quality, so testing will take time but be well worth it in the end.

I'll post up pictures of the current prototypes when I get back in to town
Old 10-15-2015, 12:08 PM

SL55 AMG
Teaser*

OK! I'm back and I went over to VVK today - here's the "teaser" shot I took below for you guys!

VVK R230 Adjustable Height/Damper Coilovers

Check out the front bottom mounts on these things! They really out did themselves to be overly strong on that weak area in our suspension setup. That will hold a massive, custom lathed, bolt - pics of that soon on the car to show what I mean.

I'm hoping I can get this newest set on the car and test driving by next week. Lots of fun ahead and more pics soon when they are tested and we get them back from anodizing!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Any word on them doing a.kit for.the.V12 SL's?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:11 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Any word on them doing a.kit for.the.V12 SL's?
Yup! And most likely they will need a test SL600 in Florida to try it out on first. If anyone here is interested, personal message me - likely will include a decent discount!

Another note, we have decided to scrap the stock pump and supply a brand new power steering pump with the kit. In addition, there will be a step by step instruction manual online that will be posted - showing you how to install the whole kit. More on that soon!
Old 10-15-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
I would be in for a set if someone gets the sl V12 kit done. I would send my car but I am in the UK
Old 10-15-2015, 07:52 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by F1BHP
I would be in for a set if someone gets the sl V12 kit done. I would send my car but I am in the UK
It's getting done, just need an SL600 to test fit the sway bars on!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:48 PM

AMG GTS
SL 55

GUys - Looks great ? Who makes it ? Where are they ? ANy links please

pac man

OK! I'm back and I went over to VVK today - here's the "teaser" shot I took below for you guys!

Check out the front bottom mounts on these things! They really out did themselves to be overly strong on that weak area in our suspension setup. That will hold a massive, custom lathed, bolt - pics of that soon on the car to show what I mean.

I'm hoping I can get this newest set on the car and test driving by next week. Lots of fun ahead and more pics soon when they are tested and we get them back from anodizing!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:51 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Pac55
GUys - Looks great ? Who makes it ? Where are they ? ANy links please
pac man
The company is called VVK, located here in Florida, in collaboration with SLRSpeed (also here in Florida, link in first post). VVK will put up their site soon which will supply the coilovers, I'll let you know when they do!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 PM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Are the lower bodies threaded so that it can be lowered without sacrificing travel? It just looks that way, which would be great, but not a deal breaker
Old 10-16-2015, 06:08 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by wlelandj
Are the lower bodies threaded so that it can be lowered without sacrificing travel? It just looks that way, which would be great, but not a deal breaker
Yessir! The lower body/mount is indeed threaded
Old 10-16-2015, 06:41 PM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Yessir! The lower body/mount is indeed threaded
Niiiiiiice! To me, that design really is ideal. I loved my Cusco's back in my WRX days.😅
Old 10-17-2015, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 E280 95
Excellent design
Old 10-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Sl500

Can you add me to the list?
Also how long will take to get this kit?

Last edited by Sl65amgg; 10-19-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sl65amgg
Can you add me to the list?
Also how long will take to get this kit?
Sure can! Only four more buyers and we are good for the discount!

4. FreedP - Peter Freed - freedp@gmail.com (maybe)
5. Peter PAC55 arcpeterc@optusnet.com.au
6. SL65amgg - ___@____.___

The aim is having the kit completed by the beginning of November. Currently VVK is in the machine shop finalizing parts, as well as doing stress analysis testing. They are going to give a 1-year Warranty on the suspension so they want to make sure everything is of upmost quality before shipping out. I will keep everyone here updated when I hear more!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 PM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
7. wlelandj - Leland Johnson - wlelandj@yahoo.com
Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by wlelandj
7. wlelandj - Leland Johnson - wlelandj@yahoo.com
Yes sir!

4. Peter PAC55 arcpeterc@optusnet.com.au
5. SL65amgg - ___@____.___
6. wlelandj - Leland Johnson - wlelandj@yahoo.com
Old 10-21-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
FF, who is doing your install? Any idea on the cost?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
FF, who is doing your install? Any idea on the cost?
Since my car is the test vehicle it's all getting installed by VVK at the same time. For anyone who would want to get the kit installed in Florida, we have a partnership with Ter-Tech in Lake Worth (extremely popular European mechanic in West Palm Beach) where it will cost $1400 for the full installation.

However, this kit can be installed in your driveway if you have the patience. There will be a step-by-step guide that will come with the kit, labeling every bolt and tool needed for the install.

Last edited by FlyinFINN; 10-21-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 AM

SL55 AMG
I wanted to jump back on and update you all on some things. Coilovers have finalized and they are getting anodized as we speak! I hopped over to the machine shop today to pick up the beefy bottom bolts for the front (see picture below).

What you see in the blue circle on the left, is the front bottom mount bushing. In the green circle on the right, that is what slides into your front control arms. In the picture these are the bolts and the bottom bushings, right one having the bushing attached. These are all press fit and that's a HUGE plus for quality. By next Wednesday I look to have finalized coilovers pictured!

A BIG note I wanted to mention for those on the fence - VVK does NOT take a core charge on your old ABC suspension (unlike Rebuild Master Tech and others). This means, you can sell your old ABC suspension to Arnott or others who pay quite a bit (roughly $1200 cash for your four used struts) - not including your other ABC parts like the pump and accessories, which you can sell for even more on top. So when you look at the additional perks you get with VVK's kit (height adjustable, dampening/rebound adjustable, street and sport kit options, etc. etc.), on top of the $1200 from reselling your old ones, you really start to realize the value of this kit.

I'm excited to show you all the pictures next week and I appreciate everyones patience and support!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: R230 Adjustable Coilover Kit : It's Finally Happening!