SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: check gas cap light comes on after service at MB dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some cars
check gas cap light comes on after service at MB dealer

Hi All,

I recently picked up my 2004 SL55 AMG from a MB Dealer (after they did a service B maintenance - fluid, check belts, etc.), and as I drove off, a check gas cap light came on.

There was no problem before I dropped off the car, and I suspect they may have disconnected a sensor or something during service.

After I stopped the engine, and restarted it, the warning went away. Then I drove it a little bit and then the warning came back. So, I turned off the engine, and started it again. Then I noticed the check engine light was on.

I'm guessing they may have disconnected a sensor --> which may have caused and OBDII event --> which results in the computer tripping the check engine light.

Does anyone know what they may have done?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
You did actually check the gas cap besides the restarts, correct?
A faulty, loose or missing gas cap allows for an evap emission leak, which can also cause a check engine lamp
Old 10-22-2015, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some cars
fixed ...

Yup, I tried unscrewing and screwing the gas cap.

Anyways, they fixed it by end of the day. My gas cap looks the same (i.e.: not shiny new) so I suspect they did not change the cap or the seal.

The dealer said something about running/testing the car run without any cap at all, which caused a failure, which caused a check engine light…. Sounds odd to me. (i.e.: why would you do that?)

Anyways, thanks for the reply.