SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Engine won't Shut down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine won't Shut down

About a month ago, I was parked in an enclosed garage. I decided to back up once more after seeing my car wasn't fully into my parking space. Then, when I put the car physically back to P, I couldn't shut down the car. I was using keyless, so the button on the shift stick had the red pop up saying put it in Park, or it won't shut down.

Looking closer, the car was in Reverse with an R on the dash. Stick shift is jammed. Can't move, couldn't do anything. Use sparekey, the ignition was stuck too, cannot budge at all. The car thinks it was in R even though the stick is already physically in P.

I had to kill the engine, so I searched for that big sheet of fuse chart and after reading it for 20 minutes, I realize the engine kill fuse is in the trunk as it is the only fuse there.

Engine died. Whew! I was pretty much dying breathing in Carbon Monoxide at this point in an enclosed commercial garage.

Disconnected my trunk battery, went to the car, it started fine and started shifting again with no errors. Drivable.

I thought, YES, don't need to tow (I called MBUSA and they said they have to tow it, no tech would come out and help me.)

I have been driving almost every day for a month now, and this has not happened.

Question is: is it a part that is bound to fail soon? if so, should I prematurely replace it to avoid being stuck on the road or anything worse?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, 04 S600
The rod that attaches the shifter to the transmission, maybe is out of adjustment.
Car would need to be lifted up, it's got a torx set screw in there. I'd have that checked and adjusted, just to be sure.
Also the gear position sensor maybe acting up or the EGS module itself.