SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Seat heater fail :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M5 / SL55 AMG
Seat heater fail :(

It seems that my driver's side seat heater has failed. First only seat (no back) and now nothing.

Any clues, fuses or ideas on fixes?

TIA

JPW
Old 11-29-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
I have heard you can get a replacement heat pad from eBay and have them installed. A little labor intensive though!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Happened on a BMW of mine some years back. The heat pad failed and was replaced. You have to remove the seat cover and then reinstall. Bit is a pain in the butt of a job
Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I did the heaters on my C32 AMG, which is notorious for failing.
In the 32, they are sewn into the leather, so you need to replace the seat cover if the shop does the repair.
In my case, I slid eBay replacements under the leather, and while not as quick to respond, they are heating my backside once again.

The R230 seats are very heavy, so you should get help to remove them. You may find the heaters are part of the leather. If so, I'd consider sliding a heating element under the existing leather for $25, rather than buying new leather for $???.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by jpw_amg55
It seems that my driver's side seat heater has failed. First only seat (no back) and now nothing.

Any clues, fuses or ideas on fixes?

TIA

JPW
As has been stated, the elements in the seats are notorious for failing.

While it is possible that you have a controller or connection issue it is unlikely. You can, of course, rule that out by checking the continuity of the 2 heat circuits in your seat (unplug under seat, check element on ohm scale).

Chances are (99%) that you have bad elements. The original heating elements (generally, 2 separate elements, in parallel, per seat) are normally one continuous conductor/element that fail as soon as there is a break anywhere in the element. BY CONTRAST, the ebay replacement elements have a matrix of sorts in that there are many conductors in parallel (so if one or a few conductors ever break it will have little or no affect on the output/function of the element.

My experience with fixing this issue is similar to that which others have posted here. My understanding and experience is that the elements are usually sewn into the cover. I priced an OE solution (on an SLK32) and found the seat covers were close to $3000 . While an Ebay kit (that comes with 4 elements) was less than $100

here is an example of what I have used (these kits are sold as a universal retrofit solution, so they come with switches, relays, and wiring that you wont use) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...RYPVbc&vxp=mtr

On the SLK32, the lower cover needs to be removed in order to install that element, however, the upper element can be slid into place without actually removing the upper cover (seat bottom must be removed first to gain working room). The Ebay elements use less power (so no worries of over-taxing the controller and support wiring, etc) and as indicated, don't heat up as quickly (or as warm).

The Ebay pad gets inserted BETWEEN the original seatcover/element and the foam. The new cover is spliced directly to the existing wires in the seat (no polarity).

Not sure how much of this applies to the SL55, but I do have one element out in my SL55 (2003) and one of these days (when I run out of other projects , I will fix it and add some more specific info here.

hope that helps,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
compaddict (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M5 / SL55 AMG
heater pads from ebay

Interesting to see these. Sounds like a possible solution.
Do these hook up to the existing wiring? Do you use the same controls as stock (buttons on door)?

thanks!

JPW
Old 11-30-2016, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by jpw_amg55
Interesting to see these. Sounds like a possible solution.
Do these hook up to the existing wiring? Do you use the same controls as stock (buttons on door)?

thanks!

JPW
"The new cover [element] is spliced directly to the existing wires in the seat (no polarity)."

It uses all of the R230 controls as normal

" (these kits are sold as a universal retrofit solution, so they come with switches, relays, and wiring that you wont use)"