SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, I was just trying to provide an anwer to whether the engine in the Bentley is reliable and the harsh testing that they performed. Despite its potential, it is still of the torque mark of the Mercs, but Perhaps it is because it runs lower boost (just assuming), which would give it more reliability all things being equal, and probably better throttle response and less turbo lag.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:23 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Finally agree on something

The thing about the Bentley engine is, its a a W12, essentially two VW V6's joined side by side, now twin turboing this motor has resulted in 552bhp and 479lbft, BUT if you look at the torque curve its 479lbft from idle all the way to redline and since its a flat plateau and since Bentley and everyone else use ZF's gearbox, there has been a deliberate torque limiter applied for the sake of the gearbox, a bad compromise considering the bulk of the Bentley. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine produced well over 550lbft.

Thats just my theory. OF course AMG work with Mercedes gearboxes built in house, only comapny in the world that does that, so...well, if you have a gearbox with a torque limit of 738lbft, why not build such an engine?

Numerous tests in Germany of the Bentley vs. CL600/CL65 place the CL well above. The CL can't match the Bentley for quality and interior, but I guess that 738lbft is keeping the journo's happy?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Back to the issue of value

No question that I drink the AMG kool aid and believe that the performance of the CL65 bests Bentley, but once you are spending this much money on cars, the issue of value and resale must be addressed.

Bentley is introducing the Continental GT at the lowest price pont it has seen in many years, with much improved engineering and the same old world craftmanship on the interior. The CL65 is the same body and interior as the CL500 but is sold for double the price. I think Mercedes has mispriced the CL65- it should have been the same as the Bentley, not more. I think VW will sell ten times as many Bentley's and they will hold their value better than the CL65.

How would you like to spend nearly $200K on something and find it worth half as much in two years?