SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Exhaust change up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Exhaust change up

Dropped my car off this evening for some exhaust changes. I previously had Eurocharged do a 3" catless turbo back with a Gibson CFT dual in/out with internal x-pipe. It sounded good, but suffered from a high frequency drone and the wife wasn't happy. I had a video I need to get off my butt and locate/post, though it doesn't really highlight the problem. Anyway, the more I listened to X vs. H pipe videos, I realized I preferred the H's deeper tone.

So, the new experiment. Went with a Gibson again. This time the dual in/out M.W.A., which is supposed to only flow 3 cfm less than an open pipe. From it's design and from talking to a rep., it should function as a H-pipe. You might be wondering if I'm going in the wrong direction with the wife and you'd be right.

This is where the two rear Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators come in. Hopefully this will further deepen and quiet the tone.

We'll see in the morning. Fingers crossed. TBC
Old 04-14-2017, 04:17 AM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Photos sent from the shop

Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 AM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Quick video sent from shop.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Just made the 90 mile drive home. I think my wife will be much happier. Believe it or not my assumptions proved correct, for once. lol Deeper throatier tone and no high pitched drone. Only wakes up when you want it, but still a nice burble when you lift. Very happy and highly recommend this combo. Some might find it too quiet I imagine, but marital harmony is well worth it, ha! I can also hear the turbos spool better, as well as the Speedriven BOV's, which is nice. When I get time I'll post some videos with the pipes between the resonators removed so you (and I) can get an idea what just the muffler sounds like. Think I'll also have the appropriate end of a v-band welded to some turndowns to see what racket that'll make, as well as a couple of straight pipes to see how only resonators will sound.