SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC - RIDE HEIGHT CLARIFICATION?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
ABC - RIDE HEIGHT CLARIFICATION?

Can you guys please elaborate on the functions of the ABC system in regards to parked ride height to this newbie? I lowered the car two months ago (not too low) with lowering links. I noticed that the rear left side always seems to be higher than the right rear. I'm looking at fender gap here so nothing too scientific. I double checked the lengths of the rear links and they are identical. I noticed this when I'm in my garage and I know the floor is not level dipping to the left.

On my BMW M5 with rear hydraulic leveling, the system always tries to make sure the car is as level as possible even when parked with ignition off. When I park on a hill, nose pointing at the top of the hill, the rear tries to compensate by raising the car to the highest position. Does the system in the SL do the same? Today, I parked on an incline and a guy parking next to me said "Nice car man, you should drop the rear and you'll be golden!" The gap on both rear fenders increased like I never lowered the car. I was under the impression ride height is not adjusted by the system when it's parked and locked.
Thanks!

Here is the car parked on a boat ramp that slopes sharply down on the right side of the car. The fender gaps are perfect, just the way I set the links. But on level ground the rear seems to raise up an inch and half. [/I]

Here is picture I took the same day on flat level ground. See how the rear has a bigger gap?

Last edited by m5zealot; 06-13-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling