SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Keyless Go upgrade on an '03?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55
Keyless Go upgrade on an '03?

Hi folks,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got an issue that I'd like to run by you folks, and perhaps you can share some info that may help me along this path.

I recently bought an '03 SL55. Unfortunately it didn't come with the Keyless Go 'card'.
As you all may know, it's seemingly impossible to order new cards. Additionally, it's generally easier to use a key with KG built-in, which is exactly what MB did for '04-05+ onwards.

After searching around the forums, I found the following two threads discussing the possibility of upgrading KG on an '03 to KG as seen on '04 and up; without a card, with KG integrated into the (black plastic) key.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ilability.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...ilability.html

What I haven't yet seen is someone doing this on their SL.
I've already ordered and installed the recommended KG module - part number A2305451232 and ordered the key from my local dealer (part number A230 766 03 06 9999 - the 'black plastic KG key').

Has someone else done this? Did you end up needing other parts?

And, to my knowledge, the KG module is *not* keyed to the VIN, correct?
My parts guy is insistent that it is, but if two other folks have swapped them out (and it just serves as a transmitter of sorts), I'd think it isn't. Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 AM

SL55
@Mods: this may fit better in the SL-forum. Feel free to move it.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL 55 and a GT 3000 vr4 Here's my car: http://home.online.no/~ludvs/index.cfm
Here in europe, we had the keyless go on 2003 models without the key card, so it shouldn't be so difficult to change it, but I'm not sure how to do it.
The following users liked this post:
ArrArr (06-16-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 AM

SL55
Hah! SUCCESS!
For ~$400 total I've got a working standard key + 1 key with Keyless Go integrated on a 2003 SL55.

For those who find this years from now:
1. You'll need to replace the Keyless Go module in the trunk. It's located on the driver side, closest against the quarter panel. The part number is A2305451232. It's a direct swap. Nothing to it.
2. You'll need to order a 'second gen' key - black plastic, no chrome. Part number A230 766 03 06 9999. This may need some convincing of your parts guy/girl, as both they and Ft Worth (who literally holds the keys) will want to send you an updated one / a key that matches your VIN. Hold firm. This black plastic keyless go key is the only key that will work.
3. After receiving the key, insert it into the ignition. It will say "Computing data", this should take ~15-30mins max.
4. It should now unlock steering and you should be able to switch to ACC and IGN.
5. Leave the key in IGN for the next several hours. Apparently it depends on age and mileage how long it takes. For me it took ~3.5hrs. Turn off all climate control, headlights, radio, etc. I hooked up a battery tender to the main battery to be safe.
6. After the EIS, ECM and all their buddies have done their dance, you should have a working key with integrated Keyless Go.

The hardest part about this was swapping out the KG module and keeping track of all the clips and fasteners. And paying the dealer for the key.

Note: what's interesting is that the dealer said my car already has 8 keys registered. He didn't clarify if this was 8 active or not. So I was a little tense, assuming it wasn't going to work out and I'd have to shell out for a new EIS etc.

I *assume* Ft Worth disabled one key in favor of this new one (since only 8 can be active at any given time, and only 2 of which can be KG), but I'm not certain about this.
Thankfully it all worked out in the end. Perhaps there was someone over at Ft Worth who understood what I was trying to do and simply 'did the right thing'.

Standard key, latest version non-KG (note triangle panic button) vs black plastic key w/ keyless go (note round panic button)

Old KG module on top, new KG module at the bottom - part number A2305451232.

Last edited by ArrArr; 06-17-2017 at 01:24 AM.