SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Mercedes SL55 died on me whilst driving, turns over starts running rough HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 Mercedes SL55 AMG
Mercedes SL55 died on me whilst driving, turns over starts running rough HELP!

Hey guys

So was just driving my SL55 once I finally had everything done to it, was parked for few months. Casually drove around and was on my route to my workplace however car just starts spluttering like its about to die on me and just switched off. I managed to get it started again and turned it onto the side of the road was running proper rough. So turned off the ignition let it cool down and tried firing it up again and would just start up and run rough put it in drive and the car would just move and stall.

Had it recovered and since has been booked at the dealership for Monday. We tried running some diagnostics nothing seems to be coming up however my friend whos a mechanic asked me to change the filter which I have, now the car starts however when we accelerate the car just stalls. Turn the key in the ignition few times and manages to start.

Seemed to be a fuel related issue, we have had the fuel pump swapped with a newer one and it seems to have made no difference so popped back the old one so thinking its something else

Before it goes for the hefty bill was wondering if any you guys may know what it could be or any other things to look out for.

Last edited by CH04DRY; 09-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Read the codes before you do anything. If no DAS available, an iCarsoft i980 reader or equivalent used with an internet search engine will most likely lead you right to the malfunctioning sensor.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail; should read 78-82 psi at idle; tape it to the windshield so you can observe fuel pressure while sitting in the car. Stalling under acceleration could be fuel starvation or MAP sensor (though that should throw a P2007 code). Fuel filters/pumps will not throw a code. CPS failure may not throw a code but that's usually an all or nothing failure. Check the fuel pump relay; if damaged it will cause severe voltage drop and the pumps will not have sufficient voltage to supply enough fuel.

Please post what you find to be the problem.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 09-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.