SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Which material for gaskets instead of using silicone during throttle body install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
SL63, GTR
Which material for gaskets instead of using silicone during throttle body install?

For the last 82mm throttle body that I installed, I used Permatex Ultra Black to make gaskets for the intercooler to blower, and both sides of the throttle body. While this worked well with no leaks/CEL, it was a bit messy and wish for an alternative solution. One thing that I noticed during blower removal was that the factory silicone gasket for the blower to intercooler was literally completely gone. There was some black burned powder/residue from where the gasket used to originally be but it was essentially metal on metal which had to be causing an air leak. In all of my 55k cars, I've always had the surge/buck happen at the end of first gear before switching to second gear (especially noticeable when using manual mode). This was present even on 100% stock low mileage vehicles (all under 35k miles). As I upped the boost with smaller pulleys, this buck/surge became more apparent. I've always assumed that this was just the pulley clutch engagement that caused this but I'm now more inclined to believe that it was due to the burned away factory gasket for the blower to intercooler as this particular car no longer has that surge/buck after my first throttle body install.

Long story short, I'd like to buy a roll of universal gasket material and cut/make my own instead of using silicone in hopes it would be a bit more tolerant to heat/cold cycles, durable, and cleaner during install. The question is, which gasket material would be best suited for this application? Should a higher temperature gasket (up to 1,200F) be used on the blower to intercooler surface even though it doesn't get that hot and a lower temperature (up to 350F) be used on both sides on the throttle body connection?

Here's a link to the site that I'm looking at for material: https://www.holley.com/brands/mr_gas...sket_material/

There's basically two heat ranges
1. Up to 1200 degrees
2. Up to 350 degrees

Then there are a handful of different materials
1. Compressed - "Intake manifolds, water pumps, water necks, and timing covers. Use with oil, coolant, fuel" 350F
2. Fiber - "Excellent sealing properties for oil applications, transmission gaskets" 350F
3. Cork - "Excellent sealing properties for oil applications" 350F
4. Performance - "Made from our own 1200 degree max material" I am unsure of what this is actually made from, 1,200F
5. Ultra seal - "Has a steel core with graphite facing" 1,200F

Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
You can use a stock 82 gasket ,just have to trim it to fit I did it ,don’t have the picture I used to have ,running a 90 now
The following users liked this post:
B Feelgood (12-29-2017)