SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Who knows that mod in SL 65 AMG ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 65 AMG
Who knows that mod in SL 65 AMG ?

Hello,

I bought my R230 65 AMG few weeks ago and now I see that someone made any changes like on photos.
I just want to know that is everthink ok with thats solutions and what they do exactly ?
You can see additional oil filter, probably someone cut some oil wires and mounted it, but from this filter leaks oil...
Maybe someone knows how to do that correctly without any leaks ?

Thanks for help.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts
W215 CL65
Ah, someone was having a bit of a moment here. That definitely should not be like that. This is part of the crankcase ventilation system, and crucial to the health of the motor. (IMHO) It looks like you are missing a hose and a one way check valve (you could buy used for example). The filter is not original. Basically, the system works by using manifold pressure when off boost and using intake from below intake filter when on boost. (thus the need for the check valve).

I suggest you get this put back the way it was supposed to be. You can get a subscription to EPC to view all part numbers and diagrams, good to have when doing other projects. (epc.startek)

PS, you are also missing the cap that goes over the fuel line fitting.

Best,

Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
looks like you are missing the check valve and the hose. You can get a mb dealer to find them and order them. Look at the arrow on the hose, it is telling you the direction of air flow, so you know there is a check valve involved.
who knows why people do things like that
Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 65 AMG
Guys really thanks for information,

I found person who to that ( mod? ) and get that informations:

Valve has beed deactivated becouse it's Mercedes defect that the engine suck oil from fumes and contaminates the intake manifold.
It has negative impact on the mixture. In v12 Biturbo it causes a drop quality of exhausts gases and can switching off the cylinders
via misfirings. In short- he simply removed ecology.

I am not mechanic and don't know what to say, I hope for yours help.
Also I found in the web something like oil catch tank, that can he used in that small filter place,
what do you think guys about that idea to install it like on photo ?
I see that pressure regulator has integrated oil separator but I don't understand where separated oil come back.
Now in that place is that small air filter and circut is close, I think catch tank can help with better exhaust gases quality.

" PS, you are also missing the cap that goes over the fuel line fitting. "

You mean that place Bro ?

Last edited by HgoAMG; 02-02-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts
W215 CL65
Mercedes definitely does not recommend this "mod". Same exact design is being used on brand new v12 AMG. The oil separator can go bad (mine was bad) and should be replaced. I recommend you replace the oil separator (easy to change about $90 from memory). The reason that this is important to be hooked up is that it reduces crankcase pressure that builds up-this is important for the engine's health and has nothing to do with "eco".

Your idea on an oil catch tank is fine, but will only stop oil from being sucked into turbocharger. If you take off your intake filter box, you an look into turbocharger and see if there is a lot of oil there. Mine does not have much so I think there is no big super need for this oil catch tank. Either way works.

Cheers