SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Need advise about struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55 amg
Need advise about struts

Hello, I have a 2003 Sl55 AMG. Love my car! Don't love the fact my mechanic cant figure out the problem with my struts. This will be the third time replacing them in about 2 years. (I think). I was told they were replace right before I bought the car. I only have their word on that. About 8 months after I bought the car I noticed a leak. Took her in and was told it was the right front strut. They both were replaced at that time. Last week I noticed a leak. This time it was front driver's side. This time they told me the lines were bad and replaced them. Brought the car home and 2 days later the leak was back. Leak was in the same area. Now I am told it is the strut itself. I am by no means mechanically inclined. I have no choice but to rely on what I am told. Does anyone have an idea as to why they would keep failing? Or am I just naive and someone can tell. Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Alright. So with the ABC system on your car, if the person installing the components with the car does not hook up the line correctly to the strut, it can blow off and potentially cause a good sized leak. There are many hydraulic hoses around your car, but generally if the strut is actually leaking fluid externally that is the only time I would suggest replacement (unless you could locate noise at that strut).

Honestly, it sounds like you need to find a new mechanic that can find the issue instead of wanting to destroy your bank account with his/her guesses.
The following users liked this post:
WendyT (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
may be cheaper to go to MB or if you can find a knowledgeable mechanic