SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65
Power Steering Pump

I have a 2006 SL 65. The power steering pump makes a grinding noise but only when I turn the wheel to the right. It is silent when I turn to the left. The dealer tells me it is just the pump but I’m wondering why it is only noisy in one direction. By way of background, the noise began after a hose blew in the hydraulic system that levels the vehicle and the dealer replaced the hoses and supposedly bled the system. Anyone encountered this?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
You have any reason not to trust the dealership diagnosis? I would say its odd that is only making the sound one way which I think would point more to the steering rack itself. My understanding is the pump pressurizes the steering system, so if it can't pressurize it to the left it shouldn't pressurize it to the right. By no means do I know the ends out of this steering system though.

Did the they say the actual steering rack checked out fine? I'd be pissed if I paid the money for a new pump and then have them tell me oops, steering rack.

You could always bring it to a good MB independent shop and get a second opinion on it. Chances are they'd be cheaper to do the fix also.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65
Originally Posted by skylolow
You have any reason not to trust the dealership diagnosis? I would say its odd that is only making the sound one way which I think would point more to the steering rack itself. My understanding is the pump pressurizes the steering system, so if it can't pressurize it to the left it shouldn't pressurize it to the right. By no means do I know the ends out of this steering system though.

Did the they say the actual steering rack checked out fine? I'd be pissed if I paid the money for a new pump and then have them tell me oops, steering rack.

You could always bring it to a good MB independent shop and get a second opinion on it. Chances are they'd be cheaper to do the fix also.
Thanks. The dealer didn’t check the steering rack. After replacing all the ABC hoses, and bleeding and filling the system, they took it for a test drive and mentioned the noisy pump. I decided to drive it for a while and see what happens and that’s when I noticed it was only in one direction. They never mentioned that. An independent mechanic said to me he was suspicious about it being the pump because of the one direction noise.

Im going to take it back to him. This particular dealer really doesnt seem very competent. Two months after they repaired the ABC, the ABC light started coming on intermittently. I took it back and they said the rear suspension valve body may need to be replaced or it might just be a matter of bleeding and refilling the ABC system. When I told them they had replaced the hoses and bled the system etc. only two months before, they told me they hadn’t realized they had done so, and it was definitely a case of replacing the rear suspension valve body. That’s when I said I’m coming to get my car and took it to an independent. He cleared the code and I haven’t had an ABC warning since.

I’m going to take it back to the independent. Just thought I’d check on here first and see if anyone had encountered this one directional noisy steering before.

Thanks again for responding