SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Newbie considering an SL55 vs. a Gallardo...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 S2000, E46 M3, 99 ML320
Newbie considering an SL55 vs. a Gallardo...

hey guys,

I'm on MBworld.org but usually on the E55 or the ML forums.

Nothing new to cars or modifying them but just wondering if I could get some opinion from all the SL55 owners...most people who own this car are older I know due to cost, etc.

What I wanted to know is how tune-able is the car power wise and also for looks?

I am looking for either a dark blue or possibily a black SL55 as a my new show car. Currently my E46 M3 is at the peak of what I can do to it and a buddy has expressed interest in buying it.

I'm considering a Gallardo but to be honest it's a bit expensive and I'm very afraid of the maintenance costs since I LOVE to drive my cars everywhere from the movie theater to jaunts to Portland since I have a home there as well.

so here are my questions:

1) How is maintenance and reliability of this car such as the power roof, engine, etc.?

2) Insurance costs?

3) Fuel economy?

4) Fun to drive factor since it's not stick?

5) Dealership warranty work w/ mods?

thanks guys for all the help!

rick
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 PM

SL55
Re: Newbie considering an SL55 vs. a Gallardo...

Originally posted by s4play
hey guys,

I'm on MBworld.org but usually on the E55 or the ML forums.

Nothing new to cars or modifying them but just wondering if I could get some opinion from all the SL55 owners...most people who own this car are older I know due to cost, etc.

What I wanted to know is how tune-able is the car power wise and also for looks?

I am looking for either a dark blue or possibily a black SL55 as a my new show car. Currently my E46 M3 is at the peak of what I can do to it and a buddy has expressed interest in buying it.

I'm considering a Gallardo but to be honest it's a bit expensive and I'm very afraid of the maintenance costs since I LOVE to drive my cars everywhere from the movie theater to jaunts to Portland since I have a home there as well.

1) How is maintenance and reliability of this car such as the power roof, engine, etc.?

2) Insurance costs?

3) Fuel economy?

rick
Hey rick,

I still think you should get the 360
But here is what I have noticed so far with mine.

1) I only have 360 miles on it, but no problems yet, the previous year had some roof rattles and something with a loud fuel pump, but I don't have any problems with it.(but you will have a warranty and all that stuff, so no worries)

2) I pay around 4200 for mine, but then again I am young.
3) Depends on how you drive, and if its mostly city.
4)Its not as fun as my old M, but all that power is VERY addicting. I don't really miss the M that much, cept maybe the e46 forums
5)I won't know about this one till next month(got some mods coming in)

Last edited by mfspolo; 05-28-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
hey i read your post on the E46fanatics im a lurker over there and after reading your statement about the fact that you like to drive your car a lot and everywhere i think your best bet is the sl55. If you can afford to spend a little more id go with the SL65. I dont know about the gallardo since its such a new car but the sterotype with ferrari's and lamborghinis is that its pretty much a weekend car. You can drive it everyday i guess but the maintenance is probably extremely expensive. So yeah i think either the SL55 or what about a used GT2 or brand new turbo?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55

2) Insurance costs?

3) Fuel economy?

rick
I can't answer question 2,3,4 for you.

However since you are in the bay area, I can give you additional information son 1 and 5.

1. since you are looking into SL55, which means it's a 03 or 04 models. Therefore it will cost you nothing in maintainance. As far as reliability goes, I really do not know since this is 1st charged engine I have from mercedes.

5. Bay area dealers are extremely picky on mods. BMW dealers are much more flexible and would generally turn an eye away from your mod. Unless you have inside hookup at MB dealers, your mod will be documented and you will have fun dealing with warranty issues.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar

hey guys,

2) Insurance costs?

3) Fuel economy?

rick
I drive my cars alot so I may be able to give you some insight.

1- I have had the car for 14 months and about 10K miles....trips, short hops and track days and it has been bullit proof!

2- Insurance is about $2200/yr

3- I only drive mine in the manual mode and left foot brake...it is huge fun...but definitely different that double clutch downshifting, etc.

4- I have had my ECU modified to remove the limiter (It tops 200 now)...and it also got 50hp/50 lb ft of torque as well!

5- My dealer has no issue...but my mods are undetectable!!

I hope that helps! Have fun!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:04 AM

'73 LADA
Re: Re: Newbie considering an SL55 vs. a Gallardo...

Originally posted by krispykrme
I can't answer question 2,3,4 for you.

However since you are in the bay area, I can give you additional information son 1 and 5.

1. since you are looking into SL55, which means it's a 03 or 04 models. Therefore it will cost you nothing in maintainance. As far as reliability goes, I really do not know since this is 1st charged engine I have from mercedes.

5. Bay area dealers are extremely picky on mods. BMW dealers are much more flexible and would generally turn an eye away from your mod. Unless you have inside hookup at MB dealers, your mod will be documented and you will have fun dealing with warranty issues.
look @ the year of his cars, all from this year!!!

2004 Sienna XLE Limited
2004 E55 del 10/31/03
2004 G55 del 1/10/04
2004 CLK 320 Cabrio del 1/31/04
2004 E500 del 2/17/04
2005 M5- jan 2005

got paid?:p