SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 !?!? to upgrade or not (lotsa questions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Viper, Caddilac Escalade
SL55 !?!? to upgrade or not (lotsa questions)

Hey guys, I'm new here but I did a search on some of these with not much to show for it, so I thought I'd post.

I'm in the process of wrapping up my lemon law case on my Viper and since I took a test drive in a SL -- and fit this time (long story, but I've always wanted one and previously I didn't fit so I was looking at BMW 645ci et al). I'm seriously contemplating taking that payout and trading in my Escalade for a SL in about August of this year, but I can't decide between 500 and 55 (both are coming in to the dealer at that time - I can still pick color/options at this point, but I only have a couple days left).

Generally, for my tax and financial situation, I'd either lease a used 2003 500 for bottom dollar and high tax write off or I'd buy a brand new 2005 55 for the price that used 2004's are going for so that when I sell it I make money after year 1. Worse tax write off but better overall... but I digress. Money isn't that big of a factor in the deal, but I never want to pay more than necessary!

Here's the two main things that are the tough questions/contemplations. Please comment with your thoughts, I hope some one has had a similiar experience!

-I need the car to be year round, including snow. I'm not worried about the 500 w/snow tires (been there, done that), but the 55 I'm not so sure.

-I need it to be a car that I want to spend every day in. My Viper is no such animal; it was fun to drive every day for exactly 4 months. The SL isn't excessivly roomy, but it's at least not cramped. As a guy who's 6'7", would long trips be a bear? Is there a seat drop?

-Do Benz dealers help with getting out of a lease early if I want to trade in before the lease is up? Should I maybe buy the 500 instead of lease an old one? The overall cash loss position is much smaller, but the monthly cash flow is much higher allowing for the usual (investments, high interest debt, etc...)
Old 06-04-2004, 05:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: SL55 !?!? to upgrade or not (lotsa questions)

Originally posted by 2tall
-I need the car to be year round, including snow. I'm not worried about the 500 w/snow tires (been there, done that), but the 55 I'm not so sure.

Both versions of the r230 can be driven almost anywhere, anytime. That's the beauty of this car. I've never been in a car similair to the capacity of this car. My dad loves taking it to San Antonio for business trips and prefers it compared to the BMW X5 we have. As long as you aren't throttle crazy with the 55 ESP should keep you in check so you need not worry about killing yourself too fast.

-I need it to be a car that I want to spend every day in. My Viper is no such animal; it was fun to drive every day for exactly 4 months. The SL isn't excessivly roomy, but it's at least not cramped. As a guy who's 6'7", would long trips be a bear? Is there a seat drop?

Like I said before, it's an everyday supercar (referring to the 55) and you can use it everyday when you want to take it to the track or go to a business meeting. Either way it's a wolf in sheeps clothing. You are about a foot taller than me so I can't comment about the room However, I love taking long trips and the car is a GT tourer. I'm not sure what you mean by seat drop though.

-Do Benz dealers help with getting out of a lease early if I want to trade in before the lease is up? Should I maybe buy the 500 instead of lease an old one? The overall cash loss position is much smaller, but the monthly cash flow is much higher allowing for the usual (investments, high interest debt, etc...)

Can't help you here, always owned our cars.
My comments are in red. A question I have is, have you driven both varients? After driving the AMG roughly it should be pretty clear which one you want. The 55 should stand itself out much more.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
I am 6'9" and my SL55 is my daily driver.

Headroom is tight as is shoulder width but it has proven very comfortable for me.

My commute is about an hour each way and I have taken the car on long trips through the mountains as well. Never had a problem once I got the seat set to where I wanted it.

The only thing I had a problem with is the exact placement of the steering wheel in relation to the seat bottom so that I have clear room between my knee and the endge of the steering wheel for quick wheel movement on the track... (a problem that I am sure everone else has as well ;-).

BTW, the car is an absolute blast!

Schiznick
Old 06-04-2004, 03:55 PM

BMW 535d Touring
I'd be really hard pushed to decide between an SL55 and a BMW645i. I have seen this (later) car and it truly has a real presence on the road.

If it was my choice (and it is!) I would plum for the BMW, especially the convertible.

And I will...
Old 06-05-2004, 01:46 AM

06 SL600
You really need to drive both cars to make that decision. It is not just numbers as both cars are very different with the 55 being very intense. If you drove the viper hard I think you'd prefer the 55. As far as buying a new one and making money after a year, that won't happen. While most cars are now sold at list a small discount can be had (2-3%) with the 55. I got mine with 3% off in April. While the cars hold value well, you can't expect to make money only lose. There is only 7% between dealer invoice and list.

2003's had more problems in general than 04's.

The BMW 645Ci is in a different class. You'd have to wait for an M6 to compare to a 55.

I love my 04 SL55 and find it a very complete, comfortable and practical supercar. My only criticism is that I wish it were a little more rigid with the top down for bumpy winding roads.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:29 AM

Dodge Viper, Caddilac Escalade
Great comments so far; has anyone had a *dreaded* snow experience in a 55 yet? That's really the largest differentiator at this point; roominess seems to be not a factor.

I don't really mean make money as such, I just want to be right side up on the year 1 anniversary.

645ci was a nice drive. Harder to get, bigger inside, cheaper but softop. Both that and the SL are top notch cars.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:56 AM

Although the SL55 is by far my favourite car, I recently saw a 645ci coupe and convertible and they really do look stunning. They are really sharp, and although some may not like it, I sure do. The back isn't the most beautiful, but apart from looking straight from the back, the profile and front is very nice. As for the convertible, well its a soft top, and you get the downside from this. But I would be hard pressed to choose between an SL500 and a 645. 55, well I'd take that definitely.