SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New Sat Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Merc SL55
New Sat Radio Upgrade

I have ordered the new upgrade adding Satellite Radio to my SL55. I am wondering if anyone has already found a solution to the antenna problem... My dealer is telling me they want to drill a big hole in the trunk lid - and mount the big ugly black antenna on my trunk. I said "no thank you". They are installing the system without the antenna. My stereo guy who I've used forever is going to try and find a solution without drilling, but I am wondering if anyone has already done this. Thanks.

Marcel
Old 06-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL
a. wrong forum
b. look at the top of the audio forum

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=63398

Greg
Old 06-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5, Porsche 911, Mercedes-Benz E55
Re: New Sat Radio Upgrade

Originally posted by Jeremy's Dad
I have ordered the new upgrade adding Satellite Radio to my SL55. I am wondering if anyone has already found a solution to the antenna problem... My dealer is telling me they want to drill a big hole in the trunk lid - and mount the big ugly black antenna on my trunk. I said "no thank you". They are installing the system without the antenna. My stereo guy who I've used forever is going to try and find a solution without drilling, but I am wondering if anyone has already done this. Thanks.

Marcel
I had the same concern on my '04 E55. My stereo guy (Scott Cairncross at La Jolla Audio in San Diego (858) 581-6545) came up with a great solution. He purchased a small satellite antenna (a little larger than one of the windshield washer squirters). He then painted it body color and mounted it in between the two windshield washer squirters! The only necessary cutting was on the horizontal trim piece where these squirters are located (i.e. at the rear of the hood). If someone didn't point it out, one would have a pretty hard time finding the satellite antenna!