SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: remote shut off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
remote shut off

I have a 2003 SL55 AMG. This spring some yo-yo tried to carjack me. He was unsuccessful but in the process the car was driven into a light pole and damaged. I'm getting it repaired, but I was trying to find a way to avoid this in the future. I have a remote 'shut-off' device that consists of a really large relay a remote and a small wireless device. It was originally designed to have the relay connected to one of the battery posts to provide a disconnect directly from the battery. It was pointed out to me that using it as originally designed could potentially damage the electronics/alternator by having power abruptly disconnected in this fashion. I'm thinking that the device could be used to switch off a relay- or something - at the ignition switch, effectively emulating the ignition switch being turned off which would be a 'gracefull' shutdown of the car. Before I go digging around into this I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas of how I might achieve this. I have a shop manual for this mercedes (on a virtual XP machine on my computer) but am having a heck of a time locating the wiring diagram for the ignition switch to see if this is even possible. I would appreciate anyone who has some input/guidance/ideas on this. I would like to avoid the really disastrous event I have experienced in the future and figured if I could find a way to remotely disable the car should someone try to carjack me again - it would save me a world of hurt.

I am paying more attention now - don't put the key in the ignition til I have door closed and locked (unfortunately the keyless go for this car was lost before I bought it and I have not been able to replace it as it is no longer available for this year - that would solve my problem right there) - but the next ******* to try this may have a gun - who knows.
Anyway, suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Charlie
Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by charlie52
I have a 2003 SL55 AMG. This spring some yo-yo tried to carjack me. He was unsuccessful but in the process the car was driven into a light pole and damaged. I'm getting it repaired, but I was trying to find a way to avoid this in the future. I have a remote 'shut-off' device that consists of a really large relay a remote and a small wireless device. It was originally designed to have the relay connected to one of the battery posts to provide a disconnect directly from the battery. It was pointed out to me that using it as originally designed could potentially damage the electronics/alternator by having power abruptly disconnected in this fashion. I'm thinking that the device could be used to switch off a relay- or something - at the ignition switch, effectively emulating the ignition switch being turned off which would be a 'gracefull' shutdown of the car. Before I go digging around into this I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas of how I might achieve this. I have a shop manual for this mercedes (on a virtual XP machine on my computer) but am having a heck of a time locating the wiring diagram for the ignition switch to see if this is even possible. I would appreciate anyone who has some input/guidance/ideas on this. I would like to avoid the really disastrous event I have experienced in the future and figured if I could find a way to remotely disable the car should someone try to carjack me again - it would save me a world of hurt.

I am paying more attention now - don't put the key in the ignition til I have door closed and locked (unfortunately the keyless go for this car was lost before I bought it and I have not been able to replace it as it is no longer available for this year - that would solve my problem right there) - but the next ******* to try this may have a gun - who knows.
Anyway, suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Charlie
If one was to employ this strategy, my suggestion would be to place your relay in series with F19 in k40/2 (this is the fuse that supplies power to the ignition coils and is found in the fuse box to the left of the brake master cylinder on left hand drive verisons).

I don't know that I would recommend a remote disable as it is just one more thing to potentially leave you stranded ... my thought would be that if this one in a million scenario came about again (getting car-jacked) let them have it and use the payoff as a down-payment on a newer model .

relative to keyless go, you do have the option of upgrading to a 2004 style key with keyless go. I did this in my 2003 sl55 a while back, it is not too tough.
cheers,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 10-23-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Thanks for the info Chris...and good suggestion; I confess I do tend to get a little too attached to my cars. While you're one in a million comment may be true where you are ...for some reason - odds are a bit better up here. There was a huge spike in car-theft, including jacking in the last year around my neck of the woods. Don't know what's going on but there it is.
Thanks again for information and thoughts.
CHarlie