SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Airborne fear at 170mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb,2,porsche 911
Airborne fear at 170mph

My car is an 07 with the p30 and mods which prob add 100-150 hp. I did a high speed run last week and got 165-170 mph when the car felt very light in the front so I backed off and good thing as I was running out of road , note it takes awhile to slow from that speed. I’ve since ordered a front spoiler which looks acceptable , problem being they are ALL sold for looks not speaking of function, but as I said I like the one I got but it’s not yet installed. Any help or advice on my issue would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I would start with very good new tires. I'm not sure what you have or how old they are, but properly inflated softer tires will be quieter and smoother. I like Michelins, to me cheap tires do not belong on these cars .

Also, check your alignment. That can play a big roll in keeping the car straight. You don't want to be riding on the edges of your tires with crazy camber if your looking for top speed. Thats a typical problem with cars that are lowered. The ABC will keep the car planted if everything else is doing what it should. The car is capable of 200mph stock power and design, given enough room. Good luck be safe.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:19 PM

mb,2,porsche 911
Thanks for response

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
I would start with very good new tires. I'm not sure what you have or how old they are, but properly inflated softer tires will be quieter and smoother. I like Michelins, to me cheap tires do not belong on these cars .

Also, check your alignment. That can play a big roll in keeping the car straight. You don't want to be riding on the edges of your tires with crazy camber if your looking for top speed. Thats a typical problem with cars that are lowered. The ABC will keep the car planted if everything else is doing what it should. The car is capable of 200mph stock power and design, given enough room. Good luck be safe.
Pilot sports inflated to 35/36 but I did not use the ABC. That may be the issue thanks again.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by Jerry Grubb
Pilot sports inflated to 35/36 but I did not use the ABC. That may be the issue thanks again.
I'm assuming your tires are not that old. Are you running stock sizes? For high speeds, you're better with higher pressure closer to 40 lbs for less sidewall roll/flex.. The ABC sport will only do so much. Overall it does a great job keeping a heavy car planted. I would really suggest checking your alignment unless it had been done recently with new tires.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM

mb,2,porsche 911
Yeppers

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
I'm assuming your tires are not that old. Are you running stock sizes? For high speeds, you're better with higher pressure closer to 40 lbs for less sidewall roll/flex.. The ABC sport will only do so much. Overall it does a great job keeping a heavy car planted. I would really suggest checking your alignment unless it had been done recently with new tires.
Stock for the p30 which are 19”, did not get aligned just assumed was good due to going straight down the road. Got aligned a couple years ago when inner tie rod replaced. I think I’ll have front spoiler mounted as it’s an improved shape over the present shape.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sl55 amg
Slightly concerning no? As you mentioned the car does take time to slow down from speed, being such a heavy car im shocked it's giving an airborne feeling.

I done 160 mph in a normal non f1 pack sl55 and it felt very planted, no lightness or uneasy feeling inside. Really felt the weight providing stability.

have you checked your suspension arms/bushes?