SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2007 SL55 rear guibo replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New owner of 2007 SL55 AMG
2007 SL55 rear guibo replacement

Has anyone DIY'd the rear guibo on an SL55 AMG? I've watched several videos how the change a guibo out and it's pretty straightforward. Earlier today, I tried to replace my rear guibo on my '07 due to some cracks. It's not horrible, but should be replaced. I removed all the bolts, and loosened the guibo from both the driveshaft and the rearend. I used a large prybar to separate the driveshaft from the rearend, but I could not get enough clearance to drop out the old guibo, or drop the driveshaft to pull the guibo off. There is an inner shaft protruding from the rearend that I could not for the life of me get the driveshaft off of (I got within 1/8th inch from clearing it but could move it no further). None of the videos I have watched have shown this inner shaft being any issue at all. What am I doing wrong? I finally conceded a loss and reinstalled the bolts so I could drive the car home.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
SL55 AMG, Audi S6 V8TT, Audi Q7 3.0 SC
I replaced mine few months ago. I hit the same snag you did...and it was not as bad when removing the old disk, but putting the new one - it took me at least a good hour of pushing, pulling, putting grease on the disk, using various sized pray bars, etc, etc. I finally got it in but it was super tight. I was very close to just giving up. I wish i had a magic trick to offer you, but i don't.

If i have to do it again, i would just remove part of the exhaust and remove the entire driveshaft and replace both flex disks at the same time.

Since i need to replace my front flex disk now (due to cracks), this is exactly what i am planning to do. I will remove the entire driveshaft, replace the front flex disk and replace the center support bearing while i am there.