SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Test drove a 2005 SL65 today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
People make purchase decisions based upon what we write in these spaces. I've participated in countless "which car should I buy" threads, and it is important to me that I not mislead anyone with bad information.

For many years members frequently advised to avoid purchasing the '03 model year because it was the first. I think the forums have evolved and come to realize that '03 is in fact the very best of the early years when shopping for a 500 and is to be sought after -- not avoided.

Originally Posted by smithwn55
...1) 07 and 08 models have lower risk of major mechanical failure associated with ABC system installed in the sl55's.
What is the basis for making this statement? Are you simply parroting what you read here on the forum, are have you got actual evidence? I certainly don't share your impression based on years of participating on a regular basis on this and another R230 forum, and Mercedes made no such claims for "ABC II" that I am aware of.

As I mentioned prior, comparing the two systems it is apparent that Mercedes intended to reduce production costs with ABC II. The second generation is basically the first generation with the return accumulator and pressure supply valve blocks eliminated which necessitated relocating the pulsation dampener to the pump. Another change was to eliminate the relatively expensive position sensors in each of the struts which relayed to the ABC controller precisely the length of the strut and substitute a much cheaper pressure sensor in each strut hydraulic circuit.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
Originally Posted by bobterry99
People make purchase decisions based upon what we write in these spaces. I've participated in countless "which car should I buy" threads, and it is important to me that I not mislead anyone with bad information.

For many years members frequently advised to avoid purchasing the '03 model year because it was the first. I think the forums have evolved and come to realize that '03 is in fact the very best of the early years when shopping for a 500 and is to be sought after -- not avoided.

What is the basis for making this statement? Are you simply parroting what you read here on the forum, are have you got actual evidence? I certainly don't share your impression based on years of participating on a regular basis on this and another R230 forum, and Mercedes made no such claims for "ABC II" that I am aware of.

As I mentioned prior, comparing the two systems it is apparent that Mercedes intended to reduce production costs with ABC II. The second generation is basically the first generation with the return accumulator and pressure supply valve blocks eliminated which necessitated relocating the pulsation dampener to the pump. Another change was to eliminate the relatively expensive position sensors in each of the struts which relayed to the ABC controller precisely the length of the strut and substitute a much cheaper pressure sensor in each strut hydraulic circuit.

The basis for my statement is from speaking at length to an owner (and personal friend) of a MB/BMW/LAND ROVER dealer. He sells and services them all and had no reason to influence me one way or the other.

When he told me you better plan on spending an average of $3k-$5k/yr on the 65's no matter how much you drive it. (and about half that for the 55's) I didn't need to hear any more.

You obviously know a lot about the cars. I hope you enjoy yours and you have zero issues, I really do.

I'll stick with someone with broad experience and knowledge when it comes to buying advice. And he was the best person I could find.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
$3k to $5k per year could be said for any ABC equipped vehicle including the SL500 or 550. In reality, there is not much difference between maintenance cost of any SL. Yes, the V12 coil packs are expensive but, once they are upgraded, all is good. That's why most on this forum question why someone would by anything other than a 55/600/65 since the operating costs are similar to the NA versions.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Old 06-30-2019, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I have got to agree with BlownV8. The V12tt is a reliable motor. There is so much hear-say information that is on here which is far from accurate. Ask owners of their experience and you will see it is much different. If a guy owns a dealership of 3 different manufacturers, do you think he really knows that much about the lowest produced model's maintainence? That's opinion talk, since alot of guys don't know the V12 motors you can't just throw anyone on a repair. Its not an easy money maker. Most shops like to avoid them. I'm sure the markup on these parts are higher and in some cases, the cost of diagonois gets passed on to the customer by replacing parts that may not be an issue. I'd like to know what all the extra money is going to every year. You have a better shot talking to a seasoned mechanic who actually sees what fails, in comparison to what is replaced because it can be under warranty. If you want to complain about bigger brakes, motor mounts and tranny wear, those are all a trade off for the extra torque, it will add up to extra cost, but not yearly. It's not due to a problematic motor.

The V12TT is a very different driving experience. I understand it isn't for everyone. Most people prefer the feel of the supercharged motors for a quicker response. Stock these cars appealed to a different audience. Let's not forget Mercedes is a "luxury" car. Most people buying these new aren't/weren't looking to street race or do rolling burnouts. There is a lot to gain from an ECU flash that would make most people very satisified with a M275's performance and overall driving experience.

For the record, even with doctors people get second opinions; don't assume someone is in the field/ or business that they are an expert on everything.
The following users liked this post:
PrecisionEngine (06-30-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
I have got to agree with BlownV8. The V12tt is a reliable motor. There is so much hear-say information that is on here which is far from accurate. Ask owners of their experience and you will see it is much different. If a guy owns a dealership of 3 different manufacturers, do you think he really knows that much about the lowest produced model's maintainence? That's opinion talk, since alot of guys don't know the V12 motors you can't just throw anyone on a repair. Its not an easy money maker. Most shops like to avoid them. I'm sure the markup on these parts are higher and in some cases, the cost of diagonois gets passed on to the customer by replacing parts that may not be an issue. I'd like to know what all the extra money is going to every year. You have a better shot talking to a seasoned mechanic who actually sees what fails, in comparison to what is replaced because it can be under warranty. If you want to complain about bigger brakes, motor mounts and tranny wear, those are all a trade off for the extra torque, it will add up to extra cost, but not yearly. It's not due to a problematic motor.

The V12TT is a very different driving experience. I understand it isn't for everyone. Most people prefer the feel of the supercharged motors for a quicker response. Stock these cars appealed to a different audience. Let's not forget Mercedes is a "luxury" car. Most people buying these new aren't/weren't looking to street race or do rolling burnouts. There is a lot to gain from an ECU flash that would make most people very satisified with a M275's performance and overall driving experience.

For the record, even with doctors people get second opinions; don't assume someone is in the field/ or business that they are an expert on everything.

I thought the SL500 use the 7 speed tranny and SL600 and 55 use the more reliable 5Speed. So maybe the 55/600 more reliable ?