SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SmartTOP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL65, Raptor SVT, HD-Fat Boy
SmartTOP

Just received this new package. I wasn't expecting all the wiring as I thought it was a plug and play module. I guess I need to call my electrical buddy now! Hope the instructions are clear and straightforeward
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
It's been a few years since I installed mine but I don't recall it being difficult at all. Great mod, our cars should have had those features standard... perhaps with the exception of roof activation while in motion. That I can understand being a liability.
-V
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
R230
It's not really hard to install. We connected ours in 20 minutes.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:35 PM

Thanks all. I am going to do this install this weekend. I will get my son to come help me with the fine print in the instructions and I also found several you tube installation videos although I have to sift through the ones specific to my year and model SL. The one thing I wish was a bit more clear is the feature set for my specific year and model. 2009 SL65 AMG. It seems that in some of the instruction manuals and you tube videos that there are some bonus features which only work in specific models.....ie. with windows, mirrors and seat controls.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:40 AM

Hey all....managed to get this install done over the weekend. It wasn't a record breaking 20 minute install for me but with the help of my more flexible son we managed to get it installed in just over an hour including re-routing the wires into the tapped in ones around the right side of all the relays and came back up from under the larger wire sets for a near invisible install.

Most time was spent in this area of the instructions...

"Now the objective is to find the correct CAN plug by connecting the
module in between the plugs. Pull a plug, replace it with the
one from the module (3) and mate the other plug from the
module (4) with the original plug. Then tap unlock on the
remote and watch the green LED on the module. A bright,
steady blinking pattern signals a correct installation. You may
need to try all connectors one after another and repeat the
procedure as the correct one is NOT always in the same
(pictured) position!"

The wires on the connector plug was very short and didn't allow for much movement on mine so you had to work down in this hole. Also the plugs were really hard to come apart and had to be wedged off with a small screwdriver each time. It probably would have been easier if I had hung a trapeze in the garage ceiling as my 220+ lb 6'-3'' son was trying not to sit on the console or the rear shelf for fear of breaking them whilst doing this and he reminded me of a folded up pocket knife trying to tuck his legs into the small space behind the passenger seat.

All in all eventually we found the correct objective at last and Murphy's law shined again because it was the 2nd to last plug we tried!

All is good as it works very well and performs all the features the sales pitch said.

I think I will enjoy these features a lot! Thanks for the confidence team!