SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC suspension extremely hard on compression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
ABC suspension extremely hard on compression

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 SL55. Recently it has been displaying a abc fault visit workshop on start up. I have noticed than when driving it hard in turns i feel that my right rear suspension becomes extremely stiff to the point of locking solid. Obviously this has a big effect on the handling as that makes the car nervous on left turns and especially over bumps on the road. I dont have this feeling from the left rear when i am turning right. Is there something specific i should check or test? I also notice that when parked the right rear does seem to be sitting higher than the opposite side. The suspension is otherwise functioning well. Absorbs bumps well at normal speeds and does not sag when parked even over 2 weeks.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 55 , Infinity FX37, Aprilia Caponord Rally
You have a problem with your rear valve block .
It has four pistons inside , two for each side .
One piston for high position and one for low position .
You can buy a seal kit for the valve block and have it re-sealed , assuming
that everything else is working .
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
There are a lot of reasons why this could be occurring with the ABC system. There are sensors along with the hydraulic system that can have effect on the proper function of the system. Sounds like you need to take it in for a diagnoses.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by 55KL
I have noticed than when driving it hard in turns i feel that my right rear suspension becomes extremely stiff to the point of locking solid.
You only "feel" that the right rear is stiff, so I suppose what you notice is not pronounced. I suspect it is possible that no plausible suspension malfunction could cause what you describe and wonder if another driver would have the same impression of the handling if they weren't first informed of your impressions.

I wouldn't purchase a seal kit for the rear valve block, nor would I purchase any component without first doing some diagnostic work. For that you could use a Chinese-cloned Star Diagnosis System (SDS). Many people have put together such a system for about $350.

Originally Posted by 55KL
Recently it has been displaying a abc fault visit workshop on start up.
The color of the display background, the timing of the message appearance and whether or not it persists would be helpful to guess at the cause of the message. But if you obtain an SDS it will reveal the precise cause.