SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I finally have power!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking
I finally have power!

Quick version:
Bought my 2003 SL 55 AMG sight unseen from a dealer in Arizona back in Feb.. Of course they lied about all kinds of things.
It just so happened i became very ill just after the car arrived and was in the hospital and then bed rest.
I finally was able to drive the beast and was left wanting, 500hp never felt so weak, car typically went into limp mode when the pedal pushed pushed all the way down.
Had a local indy check the car over, had a rear SAM replaced, and the trans. service done, and was notified the HE pump was not responding and they were not sure what was with the gas pedal.
So ordered a few parts, new 010 bosch pump, performance air filters and an ebay gas pedal for $50, did the install and finally this car is what i expected! quite happy now!
But like most, it is time to mod... this weekend 77mm clutched pulley, new ecu tune, split the cooling system, weistec front mount heat exchanger... need to order a belt wrap kit, and after that looking at 82mm TB, some mid length headers, and secondary cat delete. any other recommendations beside some 550cc injectors and new ngk plugs one range cooler?

Want to thank you for the many posts on here, and some real solutions on problems and modding.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
Mods sound like fun, plan to do something very similar to your list. I will however go the MBH long tube header route rather than the mid-length option from various vendors.

Suggest you take your car back to the Indy shop and do some before dyno pulls. Then do the same thing once mods completed, that way you'll know what you got for what you paid for.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
I had similar problems and fixed it with a $50 pedal from eBay as well! Good thing you are doing all the maintenance with the modding.

I've spent a good amount of time and money getting all the maintenance good to go. Next for me is 83mm pulley, BWK, intake(mostly cosmetic, And some SC whistle), PLM XL HE
good luck and enjoy the mods!