SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Looking at an 06 SL55 - Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Looking at an 06 SL55 - Advice?

Hi All,

I'm a long time car guy, but never managed to own a MB yet. The 'fun cars' have been mostly BMWs and Japanese.

I've done all my own work on them, and plan to do so on any future SL too. I have found an 06 that ticks most of my boxes and have come to an agreement in principal with the owner. Barring any unexpected surprises I plan to pick it up this Saturday.

Any advice for the new guy here? Thinking of fluids to change, service manuals to buy, deal breakers to watch out for (seems like an honest seller, and not looking to 'negotiate' here). Car has 44k, I am buying from the original owner and have spoken to the shop that maintained with an open checkbook.

Thanks in Advance
Old 09-25-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
If you read through all the posts you'll find our cars have 2 main problem areas;

1) The ABC system. If properly maintained it may be the best suspension system of all time. Smooth, adaptable and ride enhancing. On they other hand, repairs can run $10k for one not maintained.
2) The trunk motors that operate the hard top tend to fail over time and some early owners report some water leakage. Make sure that system is operating correctly and all areas are dry before you tender a check

Other things to consider are pre-07 SL55's had a 1st generation ABC system, subsequent improvements were made and reliability was somewhat improved. Also, interior materials were marginally improved at the same time as was engine performance. I do believe the 06's had the Bosch intercooler pump, another common problem area for our cars.

Good luck with your purchase. Remember, you generally get what you pay for.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by smithwn55
Other things to consider are pre-07 SL55's had a 1st generation ABC system, subsequent improvements were made and reliability was somewhat improved.
What improvements were made?

The claim that reliability improved is without foundation. It certainly isn't supported by anecdotal evidence from the forums. A single example is positively meaningless, but I'm compelled to mention a friend's 2009 SL550 which at 50K miles has had two struts and two pulsation dampeners replaced.

There were significant revisions made for MY2007, and they seem to have been all motivated by reducing costs.

Originally Posted by smithwn55
Also, interior materials were marginally improved...
This too is untrue. Apart from a few minor details, the interior on an '07 car is identical to an '06 car.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:09 PM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
Originally Posted by Enzo_Nibble
Hi All,

I'm a long time car guy, but never managed to own a MB yet. The 'fun cars' have been mostly BMWs and Japanese.

I've done all my own work on them, and plan to do so on any future SL too. I have found an 06 that ticks most of my boxes and have come to an agreement in principal with the owner. Barring any unexpected surprises I plan to pick it up this Saturday.

Any advice for the new guy here? Thinking of fluids to change, service manuals to buy, deal breakers to watch out for (seems like an honest seller, and not looking to 'negotiate' here). Car has 44k, I am buying from the original owner and have spoken to the shop that maintained with an open checkbook.

Thanks in Advance

All year models of the SL55 (2003-2008) where fairly close in the car's design. MB did make revisions to many of the components over the years just as any car manufacture does. Typically, these were improvements addressing shortcomings learned over the production time and items to keep up with new trends. You can search and read about all the differences and concerns people have as they have been expressed profoundly on this site. No two opinions are exactly the same, just as you wont find two identical cars! Some will have problems where others won't.

You are right to ask here for advice (as many have done), but this question is the most prolific question asked and answered on the SL portion of this site. My answer to you is, the SL55 has ticked off all the boxes for me for the last 10 years and has been a wonderful car to enjoy. If you are a car guy, the car will be easy for you to manage. You will love the power, brakes, convertible/hard top and the comfort provided by this period SL. Just be cautioned that a $ 5,000 item may come up for you to repair down the line. Myself being a car guy, this has never bothered me (and hasn't happened to me with my SL55 either!). If it did, I would fix it, pay the money without a second thought. The car your looking at with 44K miles is a great place to begin. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
If the service history checks out go for it.

For what these sell for good luck finding car with this much power and prestige for less. The engine and tranny are very strong in these cars. It just the ABC and potential roof issues(like pretty much any auto convertible top). Otherwise these cars are pretty solid cars. The forums will tend to blow issues out of proportion since many find forums because of a problem. On the ABC side any good indy shop that is familiar with the ABC system can check it out in 5 to 10 mins and give you a general report on the condition of it. But even with that its a high pressure hydraulic system that at any moment a weak area can give away.

As long as there is no issues with the ABC buy one and enjoy.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:16 AM

Multiple
Well, never mind I suppose.

Last edited by Enzo_Nibble; 09-27-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 AM

Multiple
So... seller flaked.

I guess a full price cash offer, plane tickets purchased, and agreed plan to meet at his local airport Sat AM aren't good enough. Meanwhile it is still advertised at the same price I offered - WTF?

Anybody know a nice 2005+ P030 car for sale?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
If you are interested in older, I am considering selling my '03 SL 55 with under 75k miles. Not ready to sell yet as I am waiting for my other car to finish some modifications.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
--sold Sl55--
Originally Posted by Enzo_Nibble
So... seller flaked.

I guess a full price cash offer, plane tickets purchased, and agreed plan to meet at his local airport Sat AM aren't good enough. Meanwhile it is still advertised at the same price I offered - WTF?

Anybody know a nice 2005+ P030 car for sale?
Holy crap that is disappointing!

I have a 2008 I’m considering parting with once I’ve resolved a couple of remaining issues, but it’s not a P30 car.