SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55
Exclamation ABC HELP

Like many others, one day the SL55 started drooping in the front. There seem to be no leaks or fluid around my car so after reading the forums, it seemed obvious that the o-rings in the valves needed to be replaced.

I am mechanically inclined and decided to follow the advice of others and ordered an o-ring kit. It was easy enough to remove the block and valves and change the o-rings. sure enough there were metal shavings in the value assembly. Probably caused by the pump going bad a year earlier.

My problems started when Putting the block back in the car. The wiring to the valves were not marked except the red one, I had a hard time figuring out which wire went to each valve. I'm still not sure I got it correct, although After looking at pictures online and looking at the colors of the actual wires, l think I did.

I got every thing back together cleaned the area with break cleaner to remove all the pentosin that spilled, to make sure there were no leaks. I filled the pentosin and raised and lowered the car many times until I was satisfied that all was well. no leaks

On my maiden voyage, I did not get far, just out of the driveway. It was not leaking before I started the job, as best that I could tell. and it is not leaking in the area of the front block that I worked on. Instead It is leaking from behind the front tire out of some sort of "release valve" and out of the rear block. See pictures

Questions:
1. Is it possible I have the wiring incorrect and this caused the issue?
2. Does anyone have a wire diagram showing which wires go to which ports. I have one of the four marked (the red one)
3. what is the part that is leaking, I have searched the forums and can't find any reference to it.

Any help in figuring this out would be gratefully appreciated
The following users liked this post:
Paul Filidei (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 sl500 Designo
Originally Posted by ckevinjones
Like many others, one day the SL55 started drooping in the front. There seem to be no leaks or fluid around my car so after reading the forums, it seemed obvious that the o-rings in the valves needed to be replaced.

I am mechanically inclined and decided to follow the advice of others and ordered an o-ring kit. It was easy enough to remove the block and valves and change the o-rings. sure enough there were metal shavings in the value assembly. Probably caused by the pump going bad a year earlier.

My problems started when Putting the block back in the car. The wiring to the valves were not marked except the red one, I had a hard time figuring out which wire went to each valve. I'm still not sure I got it correct, although After looking at pictures online and looking at the colors of the actual wires, l think I did.

I got every thing back together cleaned the area with break cleaner to remove all the pentosin that spilled, to make sure there were no leaks. I filled the pentosin and raised and lowered the car many times until I was satisfied that all was well. no leaks

On my maiden voyage, I did not get far, just out of the driveway. It was not leaking before I started the job, as best that I could tell. and it is not leaking in the area of the front block that I worked on. Instead It is leaking from behind the front tire out of some sort of "release valve" and out of the rear block. See pictures

Questions:
2. Does anyone have a wire diagram showing which wires go to which ports. I have one of the four marked (the red one)
3. what is the part that is leaking, I have searched the forums and can't find any reference to it.

Look in the r230 or sl pages in forum abc and coilovers has many threads to help you.. You just need to be directed to the right threads..hope this helps..I have the VVK complete system sway bars and all on my slk500..
Old 12-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 sl500 Designo
Abc

Originally Posted by ckevinjones

Questions:

........Scrowl on down to bottom of page it says sl55, amg, r230 etc..this will help you get to Link's you need to be at.
Have a Merry Christmas.