SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: M113k Valve Timing Check, getting weird numbers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
M113k Valve Timing Check, getting weird numbers...

Hi,

I am doing the valve timing check after making sure that the grooves in the camshaft gears were perfectly lined up with cylinder head edge and that the copper links were in the right position.

I still seem to get some odd numbers and I am not sure I am doing it right since the information in the WIS is somewhat incomplete.

I have seen the video of SK8215 doing it but I only get similar values on the opening of inlet valves for cyl1 and 6, for the rest it seems valves are in another position.
I am not sure exactly were the valve is supposed to be when doing this, for instance my exhaust valves seem to be fully opened at the degree in WIS rather than just starting to open?

They are also fully closed around the 11degree mark rather than just starting to close.

My inlet valves for cylinder 1 and 6 start to open at around 18 degrees and number 4-7 are complete closed at around 40-45 degrees.

What am i missing? Am I just overthinking this or is my timing off somehow? How much can my Kleemann cams affect the numbers?

Grateful for any advice you gentlemen might have.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:36 PM

SL55
To wrap things up a bit:

Does anyone know precisely when in the valve cycle the degrees in WIS refer to?
In the document, is "opens" the same as when the valve just starts moving or when it is fully open. And does the closing part mean when it is fully seated or when it is fully open and just turning back?

I hope we have some skilled engine builders among us up to the task of answering this question. Any input into the subject is greatly appriciated.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:12 AM

SL55
Hm not many valve experts around it seems?

Maybe I should rephrase the question: If my timing tools are mounted in the cam gear grooves, the harmonic damper is set to 40 degrees and the timing chain copper links are at the correct places, can my timing still be off?
Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Hi Doomguy....I'd try post this in the E55 forum. A lot more DIY's over there. I pretty sure someone over there will be able to help you.