SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Load Assist: Roof Stuck in Up Position In Trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Load Assist: Roof Stuck in Up Position In Trunk

Had the top down on the SL65 and needed to get something in the trunk so pressed the load assist button and it lifted up but now it stuck in the up position and won't go back down. Having the car for 10+ years I do know the partition has to sit in the two sensors on the side (tried numerous times) and also the trunk has to be lifted all the way up which it is but the roof still won't go back down when pressing the red lift assist button. The car is a 2006 SL65 with 18K miles.

What I've noticed is the load assist button does light up solid when the trunk is lifted all the way up. When I lower the trunk down a bit, the lift assist light starts flashing and the car's interior starts to chime which I'm guessing S124 switch is working properly as it's sensing the trunk was to low creating the chime and flashing light. Also noticed sometimes when I press the red button, I heard a pneumatic sound similar to raising the roof during load assist but again the roof won't go back down for me to close the trunk.

I've disconnected the trunk battery for a few minutes and also pulled fuse 71behind the passenger seat but that didn't help.

Could it be the red load assist button/switch needs to be replaced? But again it does light up, flash and also once in awhile make the pneumatic sound when pressed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

Also, is there anyway to manually get it seated back down in the trunk. I'm guessing once it's back down, the roof will work (up and down). The roll bar is up at this time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Old 06-13-2021, 04:57 PM

SL400 R231 2017
Possible answer

This is way to late for Lionhead but might help someone else.

I had the same issue today on my 2017 SL400.

After a good while trying to diagnose the problem, I gave up.

However when locking the car...with the boot wide open and the roof still down, I noticed that the red light in the load assist lamp remained on. So I sat there for a while to see if it would eventually go out...I was worried about draining the battery over a long period.

But actually, after some minutes the light went out. I then opened the car, started the engine, and pressed the load assist button. All immediately went to normal. The luggage cover moved into place, as did the roof. I was then able to close the boot, and put the roof back up.

I can only imagine the control electronics had become confused but reset after the ignition had been switched off for a period...but who knows.

Last edited by PN_UK; 06-13-2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-23-2024, 01:38 PM

sl550
Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
Had the top down on the SL65 and needed to get something in the trunk so pressed the load assist button and it lifted up but now it stuck in the up position and won't go back down. Having the car for 10+ years I do know the partition has to sit in the two sensors on the side (tried numerous times) and also the trunk has to be lifted all the way up which it is but the roof still won't go back down when pressing the red lift assist button. The car is a 2006 SL65 with 18K miles.

What I've noticed is the load assist button does light up solid when the trunk is lifted all the way up. When I lower the trunk down a bit, the lift assist light starts flashing and the car's interior starts to chime which I'm guessing S124 switch is working properly as it's sensing the trunk was to low creating the chime and flashing light. Also noticed sometimes when I press the red button, I heard a pneumatic sound similar to raising the roof during load assist but again the roof won't go back down for me to close the trunk.

I've disconnected the trunk battery for a few minutes and also pulled fuse 71behind the passenger seat but that didn't help.

Could it be the red load assist button/switch needs to be replaced? But again it does light up, flash and also once in awhile make the pneumatic sound when pressed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

Also, is there anyway to manually get it seated back down in the trunk. I'm guessing once it's back down, the roof will work (up and down). The roll bar is up at this time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
did you find the problem?? I have the exact same issue - star software says all is good and ready just randomly goes up sometimes