SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 1000 Mile Impressions and Pictures SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
It's a pity the wood/carbon fiber/aluminium trom no longer wraps around the new command unit. To my eyes, the plastic above it with the CD slot looks cheap.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Originally Posted by Schiznick
Walter,
I currently have lighter wood and do not like. I am looking at either the Black Birseye Maple or the Carbon Fiber. Probably going with the Carbon fiber, it is gorgeous.
Hello Scott

I will be in Germany next week at AMG and as well as a fabrication site - where AMG Manufactur is ordering their Carbon and Wood trim parts - If you want I can send you the prices, deliveries, possibilities for the new SL65.

I think that this will be a little cheaper than original AMG Manufactur - which is really expensive even in Europe - so I do not even want to think about the US price .....

kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-20-2004, 04:57 PM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Originally Posted by monty
check out the fuel economy....... 13.6/100km wow !!!!
Hello Monty

Due to the fact that I am not in my twenties any longer - just enjoying to drive an extraordinary car - I do not use too much fuel, cause I just drive within the speed limits in France. Unfortunately I have no idea about the consumtion which was posted before in Miles / gallon ( x times 1,6 km / gallon ) --- this is too difficult for us, dump Europeans..... so I can not compare this figure with my consumption down to the last number. ( of course I know how much is a mile, and how much volume is a gallon - but it is already 11.00 PM in here - so I do not want to calculate now in my head).

I wish you all a nice and saftey weekend
kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-20-2004, 05:01 PM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Talking

Originally Posted by blueSL
........the plastic above it with the CD slot looks cheap.
You're right Blue SL

THE SL 65 and all the new 2004 models of the R230 with the new DVD navigation are looking cheap - and in fact they are cheap as well.

Don't you see the improvement in the DVD navigation, and the increase of the size of the screen ? To use the new comand - it is really much easier than ever before - please visit your MB dealer and try it - then you will not care any longer about a small frame of Alu / wood / carbon around your screen indeed.

Kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 AM

Regarding the trim around the DVD nav, I feel the same. The first pictures I saw had carbon fibre trim, and I didn't notice the lack of wraparound. Although the DVD nav looks much better quality, and is too, on trims like the light wood it looks quite odd when it just stops half way up. As the aliminium trim is light coloured it is noticeable too, so I would only get the carbon fibre trim. Still better than the old system though, long overdue for a DVD system in this type of car.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 PM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Originally Posted by Twinturbo
....., long overdue for a DVD system in this type of car.
Right - cause if you wanted to drive from France to Austria - you had to purchase three CD's to cover the full way. (and of course you had to change them on the way, when crossing the borders)

Now, I just put in the target and the rest is done !! The old system really was really sucking, and a new was overdue !! But now - everything is fine, indeed !

Kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-22-2004, 09:29 AM

Interesting sounds. Is the video supposed to be blank in the second video?
Old 08-22-2004, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by peggym
Mercedes putting Potenzas on a 200kus$ super car.Tell me thats not what i am seeing , please!! If it is than i understand why they just changed top management at Mercedes and why they are so concerned with quality issues. At last years AMG Challenge they brought in Michelin to give us a big sales + performance pitch , (Michelin) gave us a special gift and Mercedes used them as a sponser for the Challenge. My personal and professional experience with Potnezas has been terrible.Over 5000.00 in warranty tire replacement ; not including all the time and cost to Hunter force balance the tires to get them dead on . Good luck???
hi Peggy,

I believe you are thinking of the Bridgestone Potenza RE030, regarding the cracking on the sidewalls? I think Bridgestone is really improving their tire manufacturing and design process. I have Bridgestone Turanzas on my BMW and they are really very quiet tires for Z-rated rubber. I have heard many good reports about the new RE050 tire but I still agree with you and think the michelin pilot sport II is a better tire. If you remember, I also had a lousy experience with bridgestone on my lexus with their potenza RE040, but that was pretty much the same as the RE030.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:23 PM

how nice of you, im sure he was still grieving his lack of replies several years later. jk
Old 08-23-2004, 12:35 AM

Car looks great but the new DVD command looks horribly cheap with no wood around it and the wood they put in the SL65 is a joke it looks so plane and cheap each 65 should be standard with birdseye maple or carbon fiber all the AMG's should.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Fr0zen
Car looks great but the new DVD command looks horribly cheap with no wood around it and the wood they put in the SL65 is a joke it looks so plane and cheap each 65 should be standard with birdseye maple or carbon fiber all the AMG's should.

Are you serious? I think it looks much better than the previous comand.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Great photos and thanks for information.
I wish I can open up the car and show my friends a V12 engine ! :p

cnt
p.s.
SL55AMG already cost 2 million HKD here ( 250K USD ).
I can't afford a used one.