SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: which one looks better, f1 nose or the current look

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which one looks better, f1 nose or the current look

Just want someone's comments on the ever increasing discrepancy between the current sl model and the future model with the f1 nose.
WHich one do u like better?

my thought on this is that the current one looks better because the f1 nose doesn't fit the car's style and copies too much from the great SLR.
another thing i thought of when i looked at the SLR and those self modified or photoshopped pictures of f1 nose SL is that SLR is very very pointy, like those MB logos at the front extends all the way near the front end of teh car thus giving it an eagle look from the side, very unique, but those self modified/photoshopped ones just has the nose sorta to say attached to the front. so from the side, the car does not look as nice or rather even flat when looked at from any angle other than the straightforward front of the car.

i know it sounds confusing but i guess for those who can't put it to words what's wrong with the car, that's as close as i can to describing it. i might be bias because i dun want the old sl to go a generation behind the new sl but even more than that, i dun want sl to copy SLR and have to follow SLK in the F1 nose. if anything, SLK shouldn't get the nose until SL does rite.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:05 PM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Front of R230

Hello "bbjay"

Think about the "old" model of the MB roadster (W129) - they never changed the front of this car !

As well I hope, that MB will not change the face of the R230 - because it is unique and fits in the "family" of Mercedes cars. A combination between SL and SLR would not really look good, in my point of view. (but this is maybe only my idea about this...... and I am a little ?? )

kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Its tough to say without first seeing the actual car "in the metal" -- yet, I wish to say that I find the R230 quite attractive and I dislike the F1 style nose on the SLR, yet it looks pretty good on the SLK- so therefore I would not "mess with success" and I would opt to leave the R230 alone.

best regards,
Jerry
Old 08-21-2004, 07:22 PM

08 CL600 Black
I find the F1 look somewhat like a bird's beak or like an oversized nose..hehe. I like the way my SL looks today.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:33 PM

it worries me for them to change beacuse i want an sl55 but not one that will change its look in a year, as speculated that if the f1 nose appears, it will be '06 model.

also, about the other rumor on the increased 5.5 liter on standard sl500, do u think that this will also affect the hp of sl55. it would only make sense if it does rite, because since sl500 is faster, sl55 has got to increase its hp too (if it does, sl65 buyers beware of a change as well, haha).
Old 08-21-2004, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
to answer your question bbjai IF they do increase the hp on the sl500 they will keep the horespower on the 55. The difference between the 500 and the 55 are so large that there is no need to up it. who knows for sure though?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:58 AM

I too think Mercedes should stick to the current shape, however I think that the SLK looks rather nice. It all depends on how they fit it all together, but from what I have seen, stick to the beautiful style that exists today, then all of this generation SL will look similar, and resales and such will not be ruined. Unfortunately, it's probably too late, I am sure they have already finalised the design for the 06 model.