SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Where to buy Front Struts and More?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 12:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just sold my '11 Porsche TurboS cab for an '03 SL55!
Where to buy Front Struts and More?

I'm a Newbie here, so thanks in advance for any help.

One of my front struts is weeping on my newly acquired '03 SL55 that has 73k miles. They appear to be original to the car. I have several questions that the SL55 community might be able to help me with.
This is a pretty rough driver so I'm trying to keep my costs down and perfection isn't required. Also, I do my own work so labor efficiency isn't too critical either.
Questions:
  1. Is it terribly unadvisable to replace just the one strut? If I did this I'd probably pick up a used unit off eBay or similar.
  2. Or should I replace the front pair and if so, should consider a used pair, or go for overhauled units?
  3. Can I buy overhauled units and what's my best source? It possible to pull my pair and send them for an overhaul shop if that's feasible.
  4. The ABC just got a new pump and flush and the fluid is good. So it seems like I'd want to re-bleed the system and then when its all normal, I'd change the filter. Sound ok?
  5. NOTE: I'll likely change 1 or more of the accumulators at the same time. All 4 likely original to the car as well, so it seems I should do all 4 because at least one is shot so the others aren't far behind.
Again, Thanks, MK19
Old 05-23-2021, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by MK19
I'm a Newbie here, so thanks in advance for any help.

One of my front struts is weeping on my newly acquired '03 SL55 that has 73k miles. They appear to be original to the car. I have several questions that the SL55 community might be able to help me with.
This is a pretty rough driver so I'm trying to keep my costs down and perfection isn't required. Also, I do my own work so labor efficiency isn't too critical either.
Questions:
  1. Is it terribly unadvisable to replace just the one strut? If I did this I'd probably pick up a used unit off eBay or similar.
  2. Or should I replace the front pair and if so, should consider a used pair, or go for overhauled units?
  3. Can I buy overhauled units and what's my best source? It possible to pull my pair and send them for an overhaul shop if that's feasible.
  4. The ABC just got a new pump and flush and the fluid is good. So it seems like I'd want to re-bleed the system and then when its all normal, I'd change the filter. Sound ok?
  5. NOTE: I'll likely change 1 or more of the accumulators at the same time. All 4 likely original to the car as well, so it seems I should do all 4 because at least one is shot so the others aren't far behind.
Again, Thanks, MK19
Welcome!

1. It's not ideal, but it will get your car sorted.
2. The rebuild route has inconsistent quality, so YMMV.
3. Potential Source: https://rebuildmastertech.com/merced...bc-suspension/
4. I'd follow whatever procedure WIS outlines. You can purchase it from eManualOnline (I paid ~$50 for the complete Mercedes one).
5. Correct reasoning. If possible, change all of them at the same time.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just sold my '11 Porsche TurboS cab for an '03 SL55!
Thx HLG600

Thank you HLG600. Great input and much appreciate the strut rebuild source.

I note for others, this strut repair source does not offer a core exchange for the SL55/65 AMG front struts, AND that the address leaks and ball joints but exclude other items........which is less expensive than the remans we see and is a good fit for my situation/needs. Also, the offer 1-2 day turn around (plus shipping 2 ways) so lily a week or so, also pretty good.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, S560, GLC43
I would buy Arnott Struts
https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...bc-sl55-65-amg
Old 05-27-2021, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by smapua
I don't see a buy it now button on the link