SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: HELP! SL55 trunk stuck partway open - my mistake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 sl55, 2005 GX470, 2004 XJ8
HELP! SL55 trunk stuck partway open - my mistake

HELP
Managed to get my trunk lid stuck.

Followed this thread, was proud of myself replacing all the struts until I realized that I had ordered the wrong 'tubular frame' strut. Mine was shot (I can move the shaft by hand).
Wasn't thinking, pulled out the old tubular frame strut, with my trunk hood extended way up in the air. Then, realizing it would be 3 days to get a replacement, went to close the trunk lid with NO tubular frame strut in place.

As I closed the lid, I think the frame mechanism lowered with no strut to stop it. I can't get it back up. Since my strut is almost useless I was able to force it back into place by hand, but the frame seems to have locked itself in the lower position. The red button (to raise the glass and top when the roof is open for trunk access) won't do anything, key on or key off, protective cover engaged, or unengaged.

Lid closes in rear and catches the latch, but as it was interrupted in mid-cycle, the two larger flaps are partially open (about 3") and the front of the trunk lid won't close the last 5 inches as the mechanism is in the way. SO, I am stuck with a trunk latch that I can catch and release in back, but the front won't close. The sensors detect that something isn't right, so I can't re-open and move the trunk back to the elevated "Transformers with pants down" position. Error message on dash says "Close trunk lid" but of course I can't. Might be able to force it but of course don't think I should.

Any suggestions on how to get myself out of jam? I think the issue is that I lowered the frame, but can't figure out how to raise it back up and resume the cycle with hydraulics.

Thank you - appreciate any suggestions.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 sl55, 2005 GX470, 2004 XJ8
Problem solved, roof deck not closing.

Sorry to all for the false alarm, but the solution might help someone else in the same position.

I had used the 'service' position (opening the trunk lid partway with the hydraulics, then stopping and using the key, turned counter-clockwise 30 degrees to allow the trunk deck to swing out of the way) so that I could replace the tubular frame strut.

When done, I had left the key dangling in the lock, still turned at 30 degrees. Doing so disables the roof mechanism. Couldn't get the roof assembly to come back together. Key in lock gives the error message "Close trunk lid" on your dash. My lid was closed, so I thought I had broken something. In this instance, 'Close Trunk Lid" meant "turn key back to normal and remove it from lock".

After 2 hours of trying to figure it out, I turned the key back to 'normal', removed it, and the system worked fine.