SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Steering shaft (advice/ help needed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55 AMG
Steering shaft (advice/ help needed)

Hello everyone. I dropped my front subframe and removed the bolt (#2 in image) from the steering column in order for it not to get damaged. After I did the work I needed to do I put everything back together and saved the steering column bolt for last (#2 in image). My current issue is that I cannot get both bolt holes to line up (#2 in image). I undid all the work and removed both of the lower motor mount bolts as well as the 4 front subframe bolts. I have the front subrame suspended on a jack so I can move it back and forth but have had no luck lining up the two holes (#2 in image). The image below is from another member that shows the bolt I removed and the location that is disconnected. I am off about a quarter to half an inch from the holes lining up. I noticed that the shaft that leads toward the rear of the car is hydraulic so when I try to mate the two, that shaft gets pressed in toward the rear of the car preventing me from lining up the holes. Does anyone have a method or advice. Thanks in advance and cheers! By the way I have not moved the clip shown above the hole #2. The clip is in its original location. Could this be whats causing the interference?