SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Is there any way to power the consumer electronics from under the bonnet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Question Is there any way to power the consumer electronics from under the bonnet?

Hi all, my consumer battery was dead from lack of use, so I took it out to charge it and closed the boot. However, my key blade doesn't work (it just spins, so its not connected inside). Great.

I would be able to open the boot if I could provide power though, is there anyway to hook up the consumer battery with some jump leads to somewhere under the bonnet so that I can unlock the boot? Or would starting the car provide power? I am loathed to open the doors until I know, as the windows wont properly lower and reseal so my car will no longer be water tight (and its outside). I do know I can open the boot by breaking the rear 3rd brake light, but that seems excessive, and there surely must be a way to power that circuit from somewhere else in the car...

Any ideas?
Old 12-26-2021, 03:23 PM

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
If there is no consumers battery installed then there is no power source to lower the window on the drivers door when it is opened. Therefor it should seal properly when the door is reclosed. The car will start using just the underhood battery by putting the key with the infrared transmitter in the ignition.
Once the engine is running the alternator and charging circuit will attempt to charge the rear battery, but it is not installed. I am not sure if the remote trunk release will work with just the alternator and no battery, I never tried it. When my consumers battery failed I was able to open the trunk lid using the remote release (the one on the drivers door) with the engine running, but even though it was discharged the consumers battery was still hooked up.