SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Suspension rubbing issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 10:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
CL55AMG
Suspension rubbing issue.

Hey peeps. Have a situation with my front wheels: have aftermarket wheels. They are a little wider than stock, had them fitted by a shop and worked fine.

fast forward: I just had to replace my front torque struts, lower ball joints and tie rods (outer, then on inspection inner). Did all that, lots of fun, watched the FCP Euro videos and I felt I followed all the right steps.

Now, all finished, took her for a test ride, and noticed a metal-on-metal noise at full lock. On inspection it’s the inner edge of the rim rubbing on the torque strut. Not good.

Thought it was too much toe in, so took it for alignment. Had that done, and still got the issue (less, but still on full lock.

Obviously undriveable, but I’m wondering why it’s happening: did I do something wrong? Did the previous shop align me slightly toe OUT, to keep the wheels clear of the frame? My immediate solution would be a 5mm wheel spacer to push the inside of the wheel off the strut on full lock, but that could be treating the symptom, not the issue. I THINK I’ve got the clearance on the arch, so viable but crude solution.

any experience welcome!!
Old 02-12-2022, 10:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
CL55AMG
Details!

Forgot to mention: SL55 AMG, 2004, all parts lemforder parts from FCP Euro, so (unless you’re about to tell me otherwise) all the correct and good quality parts.

wheels BC Forged, 9” wide, but standard width 245 tyres.

torque strut bolts are uneven - one is a simple round axle bolt, the other has the groves to set camber. The shop has it as 2.1 and 2.3 camber - the one with the grove being the 2.1. Both sides rub, so can’t see the relevance.