SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Air Mass Sensor !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 55 AMG
Air Mass Sensor !

HeLLo everybody ..

I need some help and opinions here plz.

I raced 2 stock SL 55's of my friends and they were much faster than mine so i figured out that something is wrong with my car.(There was no difference when i raced them a couple of months ago , my car was even a bit faster.)

Anyways i took my car to 2 different dealers to find out the reason for the power loss , here is where i got mixed up

Dealer 1 : " The air mass sensor has to be replaced , that is the reason for the power loss in ur car"

Dealer 2 : " ur car has a Kompressor engine , it does not have an air mass sensor".

My 40,000kms service was due when i took it to dealer 2 .. he told me that after the service and changeing air filters and fuel filter the car will hopefully will go back to its normal power.

Question 1: what the hell is an air mass sensor ?

Question 2: Reasons for the power loss?

What do u think guys ? plz help
Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 AM

Hope I can help you here.

The air mass sensor basically measures the quantity of air going into the engine so the engine management can supply the correct amount of fuel. If this is not working properly it may be a cause of loss of power. If you have an aftermarket filter this is likely as the oil, especially when applied after being cleaned, can damage the MAS.

The dealer either has a no idea or a good idea of what he is talking about. I do not see why the Kompressor engine would not have MAS, but then some cars have an alternative system using an 02 sensor, but although possible, I am not aware of this, and most likely does have a MAS.

If the filters are dirty they will restrict power, however I do not think they would make a big a difference as you describe. I would do the 40K servicing and ask them to clean the fuel injectors, or do it yourself by pouring in a bottle of Wynns Fuel injector cleaner or equivalent. This is a good thing to do occasionally anyway. If you still dont have full power than youll have to get it checked out. I'm not too sure how big the powerloss you are talking about is, it could be something major like the supercharger not engaging properly? Fuel octane/quality may also be a factor.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I don't beleive the V8 Kompressors use a MAF. I can't see any MAF on the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) for the V8 engine.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 PM

SL 55 AMG
Thanks for the help twinturbo , The car will be ready by tommorow afternoon.

I will tell you the difference after trying it IF there was a differece !

Ahmed.