SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New Boots

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
New Boots

So, I got new boots for cheap from these guys ($40 for all 4)

I was able to get them on without removing the shock. You will need something like this to help get it over all the bumpy parts:

I loosened the upper three nuts with the front most one the loosest.

I then loosened the lower shock but but did not remove it. You will need to torch the arm around the nut. But be careful not to burn the shock anywhere. Just do it off to the side. Leave the socket on the nut (i used an impact so it wouldn't shatter) and beat it like it owes you money. It should pop off.

Carefully pull the lower part of the shock boot away from the arm. It should just clear (this is why we loosened the upper 3 nuts). Rotate the bottom bolt around away from the arm by twisting the lower section of the shock. Cut off the old boot. Slide on the new boot, cuss alot, use the body tool shown above to help. It will barely fit but it will go. Slide on the new hose clamps then put the bolt back in the arm. At this point I raised the arm with a jack to make it easier to get the top in place and secured the clamp. I then lowered it to get the bottom in place (you have to push hard to get it all the way up) and secured the clamp. Tighten up all the nuts and it should look like this.

I am not a professional mechanic and you do this at your own risk.

Last edited by Burkekernen; 05-05-2023 at 12:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hendrik Koster (05-06-2023)