SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: abc return hose keeps bursting in the same location.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl500
abc return hose keeps bursting in the same location.

230-997-07-82 supposed to be a return hose keeps bursting right at the end of the hose at the connection with the front valve block. Had the dealership replace it and it burst again. Dealership is vague and stupid so I lost a little confidence in them. Anybody have any experience with the same problem or any tips. They want to replace the valve block now
Old 05-13-2023, 09:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
SL55
Very strange, maybe double check they didn't somehow get a return hose hooked to the high-pressure side.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just sold my '11 Porsche TurboS cab for an '03 SL55!
I had the same problem and could never figure it out. I replaced the hose (mine failed behind the LF wheel........but same thing) and it never came up again.
Attached is the system schematic. The only potential blockages are the Check Valve at the tank, the cooler and the filter. When my hose blew, it was very loud and there was surely high pressure in there. As I recall, I inspected the check valve and found the parts free to move and undamaged. But that check valve seems like the only part that could possibly withstand the pressure required to burst this hose. I think I was playing with height adjustments when mine blew, so the only other thing that i can think of is that somehow there was excessive flow causing back pressure.........but it seems unlikely. Call me STUMPED on this one.
Attached Files
Old 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM

I had the same problem and could never figure it out. I replaced the hose (mine failed behind the LF wheel........but same thing) and it never came up again.
Attached is the system schematic. The only potential blockages are the Check Valve at the tank, the cooler and the filter. When my hose blew, it was very loud and there was surely high pressure in there. As I recall, I inspected the check valve and found the parts free to move and undamaged. But that check valve seems like the only part that could possibly withstand the pressure required to burst this hose. I think I was playing with height adjustments when mine blew, so the only other thing that i can think of is that somehow there was excessive flow causing back pressure.........but it seems unlikely. Call me STUMPED on this one.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:23 PM

OH! There's more. The return hose I mentioned was coming from the rear valve block. One of the solenoid valves was destroyed and pushed partially out of the valve block (So new hose and valve block Ouch!). So take a good look at your solenoid valves front and rear.