SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Problem: 6'9" and want an SL55, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem: 6'9" and want an SL55, what can I do?

Hi, I am a newbie here, and I am in the process of dumping my 03 M3 for an SL55 AMG. At my work we deal with many of these cars, so I have gotten to drive a fair share of them. My only issue is that I need about 3-4 more inches of leg room to have the car be truly comfortable. I really want to know if it is possible to push back the drivers seat about 3-4 inches. If not, how far do you all think I can push back the front drivers seat? I am not apposed to removing the rear seat area to make this all work. I had to do this in my H2, and it made a world of difference. There is no other car out there right now that I could see myself in. It is one of the classiest cars I have ever driven. Please give me good news! Thanks all
Old 10-31-2004, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
rear seats? SL55?

I am 6'9" as well and have a tight fit but no real problems. I am sure that you have tried all the settings but I fit fairly well. I guess at that height it may be how you are proportioned. Any taller and my head would be hitting. My legs are tight but I still have enough room between the wheel and my legs to move the wheel freely.

You can also look at aftermarket racing seats that will give you a bit more travel.

Schiznick
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Don't plan on removing the rear "seat" area to make more space. Underneath it all is a major cross member to improve torsional rigidity plus a bunch of wiring underneath the storage bins. So the rear floor wall behind the seat is solid metal.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess that I will just get one and see what I can manage. There has to be something that can be done, even if it is just an inch or two. Thanks again...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I am 6' 8" and feel pretty comfortable driving the SL55.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:52 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Nate:

Maybe you can have a good upholstery/custom seat shop modify the mounting rails of the seat so that you can drop the seat height an inch or 2 as well as the length of the runners. I'm not nearly as tall as you at 5'10" but I just checked my driver's seat range of motion. When I move the seat all the way back it can't get any closer than ~1" away from the storage bin. If you tilt the seat back more and more the bottom of the seat moves forward. I'm sure that a shop that does upholstery and custom seats can modify the way the seat travels, increase the running length (remount OEM rails or replace OEM with longer rails?) and lower the seat mounting height (seems like a lot of room there to work with). That could mean much more comfort of an additional 2"+ in height and 1"+ in length for you with little additional cost. I recall that there are shops that do this for NBA/Football players and an article I read (DUB?) showed that it wasn't very difficult as long as there is some room to play with. It isn't a unique modification and there is interest.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 10-31-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RU_MATRX
Nate:

Maybe you can have a good upholstery/custom seat shop modify the mounting rails of the seat so that you can drop the seat height an inch or 2 as well as the length of the runners. I'm not nearly as tall as you at 5'10" but I just checked my driver's seat range of motion. When I move the seat all the way back it can't get any closer than ~1" away from the storage bin. If you tilt the seat back more and more the bottom of the seat moves forward. I'm sure that a shop that does upholstery and custom seats can modify the way the seat travels, increase the running length (remount OEM rails or replace OEM with longer rails?) and lower the seat mounting height (seems like a lot of room there to work with). That could mean much more comfort of an additional 2"+ in height and 1"+ in length for you with little additional cost. I recall that there are shops that do this for NBA/Football players and an article I read (DUB?) showed that it wasn't very difficult as long as there is some room to play with. It isn't a unique modification and there is interest.

That is what I am thinking. I had to do this with my H2, but that car seemed to have much more room to work with. Suprisingly, I have plenty of head room, it is the legroom that I could use more of! I am thinking that a good shop might be able to squeeze out another 2" of leg room. That would be perfect.