SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Rear Camera Hookup with reverse trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG RENNTECH
Rear Camera Hookup with reverse trigger

Currently installing a rear camera on the Pioneer AVH 1440 NEX system that a previous owner installed. While running the video wires into the cabin, I see the navigation player in the trunk. The multi disc player behind the drivers seat. Under that drivers side storage box there is a metallic electrical box with a lot of speaker type wires coming from it. Is that the original amplifier?
This Pioneer only has the door speakers hooked up. Is it possible to hook up the rear speakers without using the amplifier setup?

As for the camera hookup, I don't know how I will be able to get it to function on reverse. I see the reverse light at the tail light but I'm not sure If I will be able to pull power off the bulb to power the camera.
All of those wires are small and the harness is so tight, not sure if I will be able to splice into it.
Anyone else hooked up a camera? How did you trigger it from reverse?
Old 01-27-2024, 08:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55
I never upgraded my audio system but I did some research. The original amp is under the CD changer as you describe. It connects to the original head unit with an optical fiber. There are adapters on the internet you can buy to hook your head unit audio output to the fiber optic line.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG RENNTECH
Finally found the reverse light wire. On right rear next to negative side of battery, a wire group goes up towards the tail light. The wires are encased in a rubber sleeve. In that group the Green/white wire has 12V on it with Reverse light on and no other lights on. So assuming that is the reverse wire without seeing a wiring diagram or any other post stating this info, that is what I am going to use. Hope it helps someone down the line. It is amazing that 18 years later no one has put this info out on the internet anywhere. At least not anywhere that I could find...