SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 645 saga (2 hours of my life I will not get back)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, Aston Martin DB7
645 saga (2 hours of my life I will not get back)

Well after reading all of the responses I still felt that I should go and try the 645 i.

So this after noon went to the local Bimmer dealer and took one out for a test drive.

Before I give you my personal opinion of the 645i, I want to say that I have driven 3 850’s as my daily drivers. I stopped when the break down factor got out of hand so I was looking forward to the 645.

Currently I driver a Range rover as a daily and the SL 55 as the “weekender “.
I was hoping to change that by trading in the SL55 and drive a car daily namely the 645.

Wow, what a disappointment, the 645 is an expensive car but not even remotely close to the 55 in any aspect except that both cars have wheels and an engine.

I cannot believe that I was even considering changing one for the other .The 645 was nothing like I had expected; it in my humble opinion is a cheaply built car with minimum appointments just to get by.

Driving it was a non experience and the nerf type steering could have come out of a go cart.

I was glad to get back into the 55 and drive away; well there is 2 hours of my life I will not get back!!!

Alican 1
Old 11-13-2004, 08:42 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by Alican1
...the nerf type steering could have come out of a go cart...Alican 1
You must have tried the sport package, with the active steering. The regular steering is quite nice. The active steering didn't make the transition from the 545 to the M5, and I doubt if it'll make it from the 645 to the M6.

I know what you mean about the general feeling of cheapness. The materials are nowhere near the quality of those in the SL55, and the austere design empasizes the soartan nature of the cabin.

The active suspension is nice, though, don't you think? And the engine is a marvel of smoothness and responsiveness, though with nowehre near the punch of the SL55.

I'm hoping BMW comes out of this period soon, and goes back to making mainstream, solid, vehicles that are an artful compromise between sport and luxury.

And, while I'm hoping, I'll reiterate my 928 nostalgia. I know hatchbacks are out of style now, but it's a great way to make a practical sports or GT car.

Enjoy your AMG!

Jim
Old 11-14-2004, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Alican1
Well after reading all of the responses I still felt that I should go and try the 645 i.

So this after noon went to the local Bimmer dealer and took one out for a test drive.

Before I give you my personal opinion of the 645i, I want to say that I have driven 3 850’s as my daily drivers. I stopped when the break down factor got out of hand so I was looking forward to the 645.

Currently I driver a Range rover as a daily and the SL 55 as the “weekender “.
I was hoping to change that by trading in the SL55 and drive a car daily namely the 645.

Wow, what a disappointment, the 645 is an expensive car but not even remotely close to the 55 in any aspect except that both cars have wheels and an engine.

I cannot believe that I was even considering changing one for the other .The 645 was nothing like I had expected; it in my humble opinion is a cheaply built car with minimum appointments just to get by.

Driving it was a non experience and the nerf type steering could have come out of a go cart.

I was glad to get back into the 55 and drive away; well there is 2 hours of my life I will not get back!!!

Alican 1
Thanks for the update, the 6 series is so cheap and boring I never managed to gather myself to test drive one.

I think I rather pick up a 330iC than waste my money on the 6.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:25 AM

I don't know what you expected.
One car has a 4.4 liter v8 putting out 330hp and 330ft/lbs compared to a car of simialr weight putting out an underestimated 500hp and 520 ft/lbs, from a supercharged 5.5lt.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:26 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I expect more from BMW

I have to admit to liking both Mercedes and BMW, and at one point, maybe five years ago, I favored BMW over Mercedes. Not any more.

I forced myself to tets drive the 645. I say "forced myself" because everytime I walked around the rear of the car, I wondered why anyone would want to be seen driving something so ugly. But I have faith in BMW, because they make the ultimate driving machines (or at least they say they do).

Driving the 645 is like being in a driving simulation. There is no emotional involvement. The interior surroundings are cold. I tried both the sport package and non sport package cars and the version without the sport package is a little better. I think the build quality is very good, all their cars feel very well put together, but the choice of materials does not reflect my taste.

Mercedes makes cars for varying tastes. Sure they are all biased towards comfort rather than all out performance and they don't offer many with manual transmissions, but that is fine with me. Isn't it nice that the SL can be fitted with a V-8 that is smooth and relaxed, a V-12 that is powerful and hedonistic or a supercharged V-8 that is raucous and outgoing?

Why does BMW always have to do things THEIR WAY??? Why won't they build a car the way I would want it anymore? Take the upcoming M5 for example- who asked for their SMG transmission anyway? Where is the BMW designo center? Where is the ability to custom order cars?

I think BMW has drunk too much of its own kool aid.