SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Battery Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG
Battery Problems

I have a 2022 SL55 AMG and I am constantly receiving low battery alerts on my app. When I picked up the car last November it took them forever to release it and I was told they ended up changing the battery. I’ve since been having issues. After I brought it in for service last month regarding the battery issue, I noticed that they had used the battery tinder and left it out in the trunk. I called service the other day and I was told that my battery issues are happening because I don’t use the car enough. I’ve owned three other SL’s and also did not use the vehicles a lot but never had battery problems. So, now the service manager told me to keep the battery tinder connected when not using the car. However, he also told me that there is a 12v port in the trunk to plug it into. He went into detail and instructed me to open the trunk and on the right side I would see the port. I have looked everywhere in the trunk and can’t find any port. I looked online too and no luck. Can someone possibly tell me where it is in the trunk. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2024, 12:44 AM

Sl63
I recently purchased a used 2022 SL63 with 500 miles and I’ve received 2 notifications in the last 3 months. I was planning on calling the dealership about this.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:52 AM

2022 SL55 AMG
Good luck! Please keep me posted on your results. I will be calling the dealer again…it’s very frustrating and it seems that even service doesn’t have answers. Even when the battery is fully charged and the car is used the charge depletes too quickly. I did receive one suggestion from my sales person and that was to go into vehicle settings and activate the sleep mode which “should” shut down things when the vehicle is turned off. I haven’t tried that yet but I will today.
Thanks for your response!
Old 03-12-2024, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 63
Battery tenders are an excellent way to keep your battery actively charged. Mercedes batteries are large deep cycle batteries. To get the battery fully charged and to charge the reserve capacity you should put your battery on charge with a 10amp or more deep cycle charger for about 5 to 7hrs. Next would be to put an Automatic Battery Tender on it and leave it plugged in. Unplug to use car plug in when done. The tender will keep the battery active and the lead plates clean from oxidizing inside the battery causing a drop in battery voltage which in turn gives you a warning. Hope it helps. I have had the exact same problem with my car in winter storage, my tractor, excavator, dump trailer, boat, and jetski.
Adam
Originally Posted by Jmantineo
I have a 2022 SL55 AMG and I am constantly receiving low battery alerts on my app. When I picked up the car last November it took them forever to release it and I was told they ended up changing the battery. I’ve since been having issues. After I brought it in for service last month regarding the battery issue, I noticed that they had used the battery tinder and left it out in the trunk. I called service the other day and I was told that my battery issues are happening because I don’t use the car enough. I’ve owned three other SL’s and also did not use the vehicles a lot but never had battery problems. So, now the service manager told me to keep the battery tinder connected when not using the car. However, he also told me that there is a 12v port in the trunk to plug it into. He went into detail and instructed me to open the trunk and on the right side I would see the port. I have looked everywhere in the trunk and can’t find any port. I looked online too and no luck. Can someone possibly tell me where it is in the trunk. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2024, 12:32 PM

2022 SL55 AMG
Thank you, Adam! I intend to connect a battery tender which came with the car to avoid this going forward, however, I can't seem to find the port to connect it in the trunk. My service rep was not able to answer my question regarding the location of the port but hopefully, he will eventually. So, meanwhile, I've been running the car while it's parked in the garage (door open of course lol) to avoid it from totally dying when I receive a notification on the app that my battery is low which is pretty much every other day!! Thanks again for your input!!! Jolene
Old 03-14-2024, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can't find a port you can easily add a battery tender connector/port to your battery. Many kits available online <$15

Originally Posted by Jmantineo
Thank you, Adam! I intend to connect a battery tender which came with the car to avoid this going forward, however, I can't seem to find the port to connect it in the trunk. My service rep was not able to answer my question regarding the location of the port but hopefully, he will eventually. So, meanwhile, I've been running the car while it's parked in the garage (door open of course lol) to avoid it from totally dying when I receive a notification on the app that my battery is low which is pretty much every other day!! Thanks again for your input!!! Jolene
Old 03-14-2024, 02:31 PM

2022 SL55 AMG
Thank you!!!!