SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Trunk (3rd) Brake Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 SL550
Trunk (3rd) Brake Light Replacement

Good morning. Lots of threads on this one and pretty straight forward but running into one issue. I've ordered now 2 smoked replacement units and both have come without any weather stripping nor can I locate replacement weather stripping anywhere. The second order, which took a month, indicated in the listing that it had a dense rubber deal attached but arrived with nothing of the sort. I messaged them and they said the unit (which is exactly like the first one I bought) doesn't need weather stripping.

Before I get into this (yes I know its only a half hour job) I'm wondering, for those that have changed this light, if there was or is there needed weather stripping?......my existing light seems to have a piece sticking out but I'm assuming that it's toast.

Thanks for the help!

Jamie
Old 06-24-2024, 12:26 PM

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
Half hour job? Ha. Buy a big box of band-aids, I wore a bunch of them for a week after replacing mine and it was sure a longer thing than a half hour. You might be lucky, though, may have better instructions than I had. Report back when done! Good luck. Mine came with a very thin little gasket, didn't look very robust but I guess if installed right would be watertight. I almost never take the SL out in the rain anyhow
Old 06-25-2024, 07:39 AM

2015 SL550
Originally Posted by tonylinc
Half hour job? Ha. Buy a big box of band-aids, I wore a bunch of them for a week after replacing mine and it was sure a longer thing than a half hour. You might be lucky, though, may have better instructions than I had. Report back when done! Good luck. Mine came with a very thin little gasket, didn't look very robust but I guess if installed right would be watertight. I almost never take the SL out in the rain anyhow
I'm prepared to have a few nicks. I also don't head out in the rain but do get caught from time to time and the current lens leaks a little bit. Seems I might have to head to the dealer to figure out the weather stripping/gasket deal. Frustrating.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL55
https://www.madhornets.com/01-12-mer...e&gad_source=1

I went clear. Came with gasket - perfect fit. I chose to use/leave in the original metal bracket part and just swapped the light itself - 10 minutes with a power ratchet, deep socket and extension. Those are long bolts.
Mercedes wrote it up on unrelated list (my red one had a small crack but still worked fine) for only like $800 lol.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:31 PM

2015 SL550
Originally Posted by Iceclimber7
https://www.madhornets.com/01-12-mer...e&gad_source=1

I went clear. Came with gasket - perfect fit. I chose to use/leave in the original metal bracket part and just swapped the light itself - 10 minutes with a power ratchet, deep socket and extension. Those are long bolts.
Mercedes wrote it up on unrelated list (my red one had a small crack but still worked fine) for only like $800 lol.
Jackpot! Thank you. Ordered....so now I have 3!

Thanks again! Should have checked here first.